Can't boot ML from usb to install on PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by johnitravolta, Jun 28, 2013.

1. johnitravolta macrumors newbie

hello,

i'm trying to do something here and i'd be very glad to get your help.
    i followed one if the tuts to make a bootable usb with ML 10.8.4 with the lion diskmaker tool.

anyway, when i set the bios setting on my HP pavillion to boot from usb - it doesn't boot anything.
    when i insert a windows 8 bootable usb it boots it perfectly.

so we know the pc is set to boot from usb fine.
    i could not have been mistaken making the bootable usb because i just run the tool.

what is wrong then?

when i insert it and loads it on my mac, open up the disk utility and press on the info button - i do see it's bootable. and it's formatted as it should be.

need your suggestion.

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Can you be more specific with what you're trying to accomplish? It sounds like you're trying to install OS X on your HP. This will not work. You cannot install OS X on non-Mac hardware (technically you can, but there's much more involved to it than changing BIOS boot priority).

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Mac OS'es are only directly bootable on a Mac. On PC you need to use a custom boot loader, like Chameleon v2(or whatever the popular osx86 boot loader is these days), along with necessary kexts and other files.

4. johnitravolta thread starter macrumors newbie

What else has to be accomplished to be able to install mac on a hp laptop? It has same hardware old macs used to have.

About the custom boot loader- I will try that and let you know thanks for understanding what I needed.

5. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php

Dig around on that site and Google "hackintosh" to find instructions/guides. Like I said before, this is not going to be a simple endeavor.

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Possibly, except for the EFI v1.1, which is what Mac uses to boot. On a PC we have a BIOS, which hands over control to a boot loader before the OS can be loaded. On a PC, no boot loader, no booting the OS.