Can't boot off the install disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by raymondu999, Oct 3, 2010.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hey all. I have an i7 MacBook Pro. Recently I wanted to boot into the Mac OS X Install Disk (the Snow Leopard Install CD, and not the grey CD that came with my macbook pro, as I lost that one) to verify my disk as I was getting several problems.

So I restarted, hit option until "Macintosh HD" showed up. Then I hit "c" and "Mac OS X Install Disc" showed up. So far so good.

I then selected the CD, and hit enter. It started to boot up and my cd drive started to make whirring noises, so I knew it was all good. And then, it went into the grey screen with the Apple logo in the middle. However, with it taking a long time, I went for my usual jog (it was my jogging time anyways). But when I came back (over an hour later) it was still on the grey screen with the apple logo.

Can anyone help?:confused:

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It is related to this: Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your Mac

The current retail disc version is 10.6.3, build 10D573. Your MacBook Pro shipped with a custom build of 10.6.3, (10D2063a, 10D2094, 10D2101a). http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159

That custom build included kexts and other system level changes that are not included on the 10.6.3 disc you have.

This is why you cannot boot to a retail disc at this time. When a disc with a newer version, 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 is released, you will be able to boot from it.

You can verify your disk from the grey OS X disc that came with your computer.

3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not trying to install it, just trying to verify the disk. I'll be away from my grey disc (out of town) for a week or so... is there any way I can work around that?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

That is why I said it is "related." It's funny, I sat here thinking that you would come back and say this, but then I thought "naw, this is so clear." I guess not.

The disc you have will not work with your computer because of the reasons I stated above. The build version on the disc does not contain the necessary software for your MacBook Pro. It does not matter that you aren't trying to install, which is again, why I said the information I linked you to was related. I did not say it was the exact reason.

There is no way around it. If you just want to verify, you can do that in Disk Utility while booted to the OS.

5. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

So let me get this straight. I got the i7 MBP... can't remember if it came with 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 though. But I'm now running on 10.6.4, so do I need a 10.6.3 retail CD, or 10.6.4? As I understand I can also use my grey disk, but that'll be away from me for quite a while so currently not an option.

Is there another way of repairing disk? I'm really after partitioning my drive using disk utility or bootcamp assist, but it won't let me due to the "some files can't be moved" shebang.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can try using fsck, if you don't have the appropriate install disc. Instructions for use to be found here.

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It does not matter what OS version you are currently running. As I stated above quite plainly, your machine came with a custom build of 10.6.3. That custom build is not on the 10.6.3 retail DVD (which is what you said you have). But it doesn't matter, if you have an older one it isn't going to work either.

You cannot boot to any currently sold retail DVD on your MBP.

When a 10.6.4 or 10.6.5 (more likely) DVD is pressed, you can buy and boot to that one.

8. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bummer. Is there any way I can sort out my hdd's issues to boot camp/partition the drive though? The main reason I'm booting into the disk is that my Boot Camp partition was getting too small, so I cleared it and intended to create a bigger partition, but now I'm getting the "some files cannot be moved" error

9. Silva macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for this info. I think you may have solved a terrible problem I had been having with my new Mac Pro. Wish someone would have mentioned it sooner!

Pz

S