Can't boot on a macbook after erasing log files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oscar.lopez, Dec 15, 2010.

1. oscar.lopez macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was doing some cleanup on my macbook pro, deleting old log files and suddenly the system froze. I turned off and then on the laptop and to my surprise, the Mac partition doesn't show up on bootcamp menu, and I'm taken directly to Windows.

More specifically, I deleted the log files under ~/Library/Logs, /Library/Logs, /private/var/logs, and was also running all the cleanup options of IceClean.

I tried booting from the install disk and repairing the disk with Disk Utility, and although all my data seems to be all right (I can see all of it from Windows), and Disk Utility did not find any errors, when I reboot (while holding the option key) only Windows shows up.

Obviously I must have deleted some critical file, and I should have known better :( . Any ideas on how can I possibly repair my system, or am I doomed to perform a complete reinstall?

Thanks in advance,

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard you can simply reinstall Mac OS X and all of your data will be untouched and your Windows installation will be left alone too.
    After the installation is completed, you will be able to use your Mac as you were before deleting log files, no need to setup your user account or anything else, as none of your data will be deleted.