cant boot Osx after installing windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by K416ix, Apr 14, 2015.

1. K416ix macrumors newbie

Apr 13, 2015
    I have a 2011-2012 macbook pro 15. yesterday I installed windows 7 using bootcamp and installed all drivers. everything seemed fine and I even switched to OS X Yosemite once and went back to windows again. and then I tried to restart and boot back to OS X and it did not let me. so basically once I restart, I hold the option key and when I do that nothing happends. all I see is a black screen. it does not show me the booting options. If I restart the computer and touch nothing windows automatically boots up. so windows is fine. so what I tried to do is go into bootcamps control panel and change the start up boot to OS X and restarted thought this might automatically boot osx but it didnt. so macbook got restarted and it stayed on black screen. option key still doesnt work. I also tried the command + R and i get the utility screen but I still cant boot OsX eventhough i can load windows again from start up on my utility screen. so I dont know if i need to re install OSx, or if its the drivers or a hardware issue or what. please help me out, I need my OS X and files that i have on it
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Did the OS X side somehow got erased, even if you did manage to boot back into it once?

Note: Recovery can work even without an OS X partition present (or even with an unformatted internal drive).
  3. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I'd boot into the recovery partition and see what the Disk Utility has to say about the partitions on your drive.