Can't boot to DVD's with SSD installed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WAM2, Nov 28, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Am trying to install windows 7 on another partition, but am unable to boot from the DVD. It locks up at the boot selection screen. Its annoying. When I Put the HDD back in it boots fine.. How do I Fix this as I Really want to be able to game.

2. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

wow, looks like im never going to get an answer.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya a whole 24 hours with no answer is almost "never"

are you using an external dvd drive by chance?

4. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

No, But I Do have one. I'm trying to boot with the Superdrive. It just locks up at the selection menu, and when It boots after using Boot camp assistant it just stays at the black screen with the blinking dash. Also its just urgent and annoying that the EFI is terrible with SSD's.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i guess im confussed boot camp assistant should walk you through installig windows on the partition you made in boot camp assistant, you shouldnt need to boot off the dvd

6. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yes, im trying to boot to the windows dvd to install windows. Boot Camp assistent after going though the menu restarts to the Windows DVD to start installing windows, but mine wont boot from it. Very very odd and annoying, and a quick google search shows others with the same problem, all using SSD's as the main drive and still having their optical drive in (no optibay). Those posts never got answers.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ahh that is weird, if boot camp is installed on a normall hard drive looking into something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone that partition to the SSD using the SSD in an external enclosure or something

8. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

See I Did that, and it still locks up when trying to even boot off the windows partition. Its extremely annoying and i am just trying to find a workaround to boot from anything windows with an SSD Main drive. I Would like to try to actually install it from the DVD but.

9. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

There are a bunch of similar threads like this in the forum have you done some looking around here?

10. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yes, but all the posts I Saw didnt have any answers, if you have some posts I Can look at, Would you link them?