can't boot to login screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by senior, Aug 27, 2010.

1. senior macrumors newbie

Hey,
    A few days ago I upgraded the hard drive in my MBP (3, 1: mid 2007, 2.4Ghz) to a Seagate Momentus Gforce 500GB. I restored my system from a time machine backup and everything was running fine.

Last night the OS entered a weird state where I couldn't force quit anything, or interact with any of the apps, yet could drag the windows around. The same thing happened again this morning.

I installed the latest software updates (graphics driver fixes, security fix and iLife update) while I did a disk utility check, which came up fine. I rebooted and got to the login screen, but couldn't click on a name. Then I rebooted and now it won't reach the login screen, it just cycles between a blue screen and the default OS wallpaper with a mouse cursor.

I've tried running disk utility, repairing permissions, doing a hardware test and flashing the PRAM. All diagnostics come up fine, including the HD and RAM.

What is the likely problem?
    - new HD?
    - software updates?
    - problem when restoring from time machine?

Is there anything else I can try before I restore from Time Machine again? Is it worth doing a clean install and migrating my old system over manually?

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

I've tried running disk utility, repairing permissions, doing a hardware test and flashing the PRAM. All diagnostics come up fine, including the HD and RAM.

What is the likely problem?
    - new HD? - most likely
    - software updates? - doubt it
    - problem when restoring from time machine? no this would have been an instant problem

Is there anything else I can try before I restore from Time Machine again? Is it worth doing a clean install and migrating my old system over manually?

sounds to me like a faulty hard drive, or something else has gone of your computer, and it definitely sounds like a hardware issue and not a software issue

3. senior thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen reports of people having problems with the Momentus Gforce drives. Apparently the acceleration sensor built into the drive might conflict with the sensor built into the MBP. I may also try the firmware update for the drive.