Can't boot to my cloned SSD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by robains, Sep 11, 2011.

1. robains macrumors regular

robains

I picked up a Crucial M4 256GB SSD to replace my existing Bootcamp Hard Disk for my MacPro 1,1 (2006).

I used Casper 7.0 to clone my Windows drive to my SSD, so far all good (I've used Casper before to do the same task without issue).

I even made sure I got my Crucial M4 SSD firmware updated to the latest rev 0009 (it was 0002).

So I boot my MacPro and hold down option, I see my new SSD (Windows) and select it for boot. I get the usual screen flash, wait a few seconds, and the cursor in the upper left corner of the monitor. Now the bad part, the blinking cursor never goes away ... just sits there (for hours) and never boots into my Windows SSD.

I don't any errors, nothing at all, just a blinking white cursor (underscore character) in the upper left corner.

Anyone else having problems boot to SDD with Windows on it? I don't know if this is just a Crucial M4 SSD problem or if it's any SSD? Is it due to MacPro 1,1 generation?

Any hints or suggestions or am I just out of luck?

Thanks, Rob.

2. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

You folks will chuckle at my solution.

Turns out that my MacPro 1,1 doesn't like to boot to SSD (Bootcamp Windows) in Bay 3 or Bay 4, but works fine in Bay 2 ... go figure.

Up and running Windows Vista x64 ... perfect clone.

Acronis seems to do a better job than Casper 7.0 for cloning.

3. Aaron Burr macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting your solution. I wasn't even aware of any issues, but I saw your post on the Crucial site and panicked; thankfully, I found your solution here.

I'm going to be giving this a shot on Monday, hoping to do Lion and Win 7.

4. robains thread starter macrumors regular

robains

Hope it works for you, no issues with my SSD using the Rev 0009 firmware on Bay 2 in my MacPro.