CAN'T BOOT TO OS AFTER TRYING TO PUT WINDOWS ON BOOT CAMP: black screen!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Damo276, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Damo276 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new to macs and I just purchased my first iMac 27inch only a few days ago! I tryed to put windows on it as I like some windows programs and it's the number of games they have avaiable. I was using boot camp and partitioned the harddrive, I inserted the disc (which i downloaded) and it went as follows, but once it rebooted, it went do the (well I'm pretty sure) bios boot menu. Saying "no boot device detected, insert boot device and press any key"

I can do nothing on this screen as the keyboard and mice are wireless and use Bluetooth. The windows disc is still stuck in the drive and I cant eject it as it uses the keyboard. Obviously I screwed up burning the downloaded windows 7. It is now stuck on this screen and I believe that the whole harddrive is wiped and that's why it won't automatically reboot to Mac OS.

WHAT CAN I DO?? please help. It hasn't been a week and I have already screwed up my awesome Mac :(

2. MacHamster68, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

3. biohead macrumors 6502

What happens when you hold down the option key on the keyboard?

(Does that even work on BT keyboards? I only have a MacBook where the keyboard is physically connected).

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Can you "force" your iMac off (hold the power button until it turns off) and then start it up again and hold "opt" to make sure you can boot to Mac OS X.

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

It does work.

OP, when I installed Windows 7 on my iMac it automatically tried to boot into Windows the first time. It sounds like your actual Windows installation is screwed but your Mac OS X partion is most likely fine. Just hold down option when the iMac turns on and click the Mac OS X disk.

6. Damo276 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holding option down does nothing as the wireless apple keyboard does not connect. So I need a wired keyboard and mouse? Does that have to be an apple brand keyboard or any old keyboard?
    Thanks for the feedback guys :)
    Btw if i get a normal keyboard, what is the option key for them?

7. Damo276 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I probably should have! I wasn't thinking anything like this would happen. I thought it would just install windows, and if all went wrong it would just reboot back to Mac os. But obviously something went wrong. If I can ever try again, I will use that walkthrough haha.
    Can I use any keyboard and mouse? Thanks :)
    Do you think my drive is wiped?

8. Damo276 thread starter macrumors newbie

i managed to fix the problem, it was easy, all i had to was borrow a wired mouse from a friend and as it started up, i held it down and the disc ejected. after that it automatically booted back to mac os x. thank god! didnt delete anything either. so thanks for your responses guys.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Be careful, pirated versions of Windows 7 install funky on the new iMacs. If you install a legit copy with a legit key, it will work fine. But the pirated version will give you a black screen on reboot every time.