Can't boot to Win7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Lycan, May 19, 2011.

1. Lycan macrumors newbie

Last night I ran a software update on my iMac 27'', 2.8 GHz, i7 QuadCore with 8 Gb of DDR3 RAM, and ever since I haven't been able to boot up in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit version.
    Windows was installed last year and I have never had any problems with this until last night.

Anyone else with this problem?

I've tried reinstalling Mac OS X 10.6.2, leaving the bootcamp partition intact, but no luck.
    When I restart and keep ALT down to choose which system to start I see both Windows and MAc, but selecting Windows gives me a blank white screen and nothing happens.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, reinstalling Mac OS X won't help with problems on a Windows partition. Secondly, please tell us what software update you applied.

3. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm just running OS X 10.6.2 from the original installations DVD...

4. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually wouldn't mind reinstalling everything all over, but I really need to get som Outlook files before this step.
    I see the bootcamp partition, but after installing Windows 7 I created 3 partitions with that partition and these don't show up anywhere.
    If could just access these "hidden" windows partitions all would be ok...

5. wpotere Guest

OK, you are not being descriptive enough for us to help. When you boot the Mac and hold the option key do you get the ability to boot to Windows? Is the patch that you installed a Windows patch or an OSx patch?

6. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry...

As I wrote I reinstalled OSX from the original dvds and haven't made any update this time, but still have this issue.

Like I mentioned in the first post:
    When I restart and keep ALT down to choose which system to start I see both Windows and Mac, but selecting Windows gives me a blank white screen and nothing happens.

Let me know what you want me to find out and I'll do my best to get the info!

Thanks!

7. wpotere Guest

When you reinstalled OSX, did you mess with the drive slices and do any formatting? It sounds like you damaged your Windows partition (slice in UNIX) which is why it won't boot. You might try booting to a Windows DVD and see if you can repair the Windows Bootcamp partition.

Why did you reinstall OSX? I have had my machine for 3 + years and have only had to do it once (caused by me playing with unnecessary antivirus software).

8. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ran the DVD and made a new install... I found a post somewhere (not in here) where reinstalling OS had helped.

I'm not able to boot to the Windows DVD :-(

Damn... I just need a few files from the hidden Windows Partition!

9. wpotere Guest

If you put the Windows DVD in, reboot the computer and hold down the "C" key you are unable to get it to boot?

At this point, I am not sure that we can help you. I don't understand why you did what you did (reloading OSX) since the two have nothing to do with each other. If you didn't backup your Windows partition, you may have lost that file.

10. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try to make it boot from the Win DVD.
    I see the bootcamp partition in Finder, but it only shows up with 200 Gb and it was made with 1.8 Tb and thereafter partitioned in Windows into 3 partitions.
    Don't understand why these can't be seen...

11. wpotere Guest

It sounds like they don't exist any longer which is why I asked you what you did during the OSX install. If you messed with any of the partitions during the reinstall, you may have overwritten one of them. That is my guess...

12. Lycan thread starter macrumors newbie

They were never visible...

I wasn't able to boot from the Win DVD... Too bad! :-(