Can't Boot up Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ldneil, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ldneil macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Just thought I'd drop in for some advice see what you guys thought. I'm pretty new to the whole mac pro thing and seemingly have a bit of a challenge on my hands here. I did try searching but can't seem to dig anything up.

I've got 2 Mac Pro machines, one works perfectly, the other will not boot. Using all the same cables to connect on the rear. The second Mac Pro just does nothing when you hit the power button. They are both out of apple care so I can't ask for help in that regard. I have reseated the memory, and hard drive along with leaving the power cable disconnected for a minute (on apple's advice) - all to no avail.

Im thinking that it may be something more serious like a broken power supply or the connection of the power switch mechanism. (This usually would be the cause of a similar problem on many a PC that I have seen over the years!)

So just hoping someone can give me a pointer or maybe a link to a guide on how to take a Mac Pro apart so I might be able to swap some components from one machine to the next to trouble shoot.

The broken machine is: Intel Mac Pro (think one of the very first 06? models, 1gb, 250gb HD.

The working machine is Intel mac Pro Dual 3gz (4 cores), 4gb RAM, 500 gb HD.

Also do you know if there is a service manual at all for the MP? I've found the normal manual but it doesn't go into much detail.

many thanks for your help!

_n_ :)

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I will see if I can dig up the service manual for the 2007 Mac Pro model.

Can you open the panel and see if the RAM raiser cards light up (green or red) when hitting the power button?

Or is it just no action at all?

3. ldneil thread starter macrumors newbie

heya pressure, yep tried that and no lights at all im afraid, I assume you mean the row of 8 small LED's (labelled DIAG LED on the motherboard just to the right of the 1st RAM riser)

I hadnt tried that before, but no lights at all on there ....

4. ldneil thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, after a little bit more searching on google I found the service manual

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Macpro.pdf&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

and I think this section describes what I need to do:

(thought this might be of use to anyone else):

Startup Failures

When testing a computer for the following symptoms, remove the side access panel so you can better observe or listen for fan movement.

Note: Be sure to check the “Memory” and “Power-On Self Test” topics in the General Information section of this chapter. Incorrect installation of DIMMs or incompatible memory will not allow the system to start up correctly. For information on how to correctly install DIMMs, see the “Memory (DIMMs)” topic in the Take Apart chapter.

Important: For troubleshooting purposes, Mac Pro computers may be started up and diagnosed with a single processor installed in either the upper (CPU A) or lower (CPU B) position.

Power-on LED does not illuminate when power button is pressed, fans do not spin, and there is no boot tone or video
    Verify power outlet is good.
    Check that diagnostic LED 1 is on when the power cord is connected.
    Replace power cord.
    Check that diagnostic LED 1 is on when the power cord is connected.
    Reset the logic board. Refer to “5. Resetting the Logic Board” in this chapter.
    Verify power supply cables are properly seated.
    Verify that processors are properly seated. Check diagnostic LED 2 and/or LED 3.
    Mac Pro Troubleshooting — Symptom Charts 155
    Verify that processors’ mounting clamps are properly tightened.
    Test whether the front panel board or power button is at fault. Remove the installed front
    9. panel board and test with a known-good front panel board.
    Replace front panel board.
    Replace power button.
    Replace power supply.
    Replace logic board.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Should provide you with some help.

[​IMG]

Tell me if you need the entire service manual (update: yeah, you already have it).