Can't boot via Firewire on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LethalWolfe, Jun 6, 2008.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've got a 2.66ghz quad core running 10.4.10 and I can't get it to boot from FW400. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my system HD onto a FW drive and the FW drive shows up as bootable when I change the Start Up disk (it also shows up as bootable if I hold "option" while the Mac Pro boots), but it stalls on the gray boot up screen (after a few minutes the gray Apple logo will turn into a circle w/a line thru it). Thinking it might have just been a bad clone I wiped the drive again and installed Tiger onto it. Again it showed up as a bootable device but it would just hang on the gray boot screen.

Thinking it might be a defective drive (it's brand new) I took it to my G4, reformatted it and used CCC to clone my G4 system drive onto the external. I then successfully booted my G4 from the FW drive so the drive should be fine.

Any suggestions?

Lethal

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If it boots the G4 then it's been partitioned using Apple Partition Scheme which you can't boot an Intel Mac with.

Reformat the drive and under the partition tab in Disk Utility in the Options button towards the bottom of the panel, make sure that GUID Partition Table is set as the partitioning scheme.

However, this will not let you boot from that drive on a PPC Mac.

3. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

When I tried the FW drive w/the Mac Pro it was partitioned using GUID (forget to specify that in my OP) and then I re-partitioned the drive w/my G4 in preparation for cloning my G4 system drive. I tried booting w/the FW 3x last night (2x Mac Pro, 1x G4) and before each attempt I re-formated the drive to try and eliminate any "junk" on the drive that might be causing a problem.

Lethal

4. LethalWolfe thread starter macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think I figured it out. I'd forgotten I had my DV deck plugged into a FW jack as well. I disconnected the deck, installed Tiger onto the FW deck again and booted up from it on my Mac Pro w/o a hitch. :eek: D'oh. Mildly embarrassed, but at least it wasn't anything big. I'm going to clone the system drive tonight and test that out tomorrow, but I don't think I'll have a problem.

Lethal