Can't boot with Apple 4870 in Mac Pro 1,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ces1965, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ces1965 macrumors member

I took out my 7300GT, and installed the Apple supplied 4870 in the lowest slot. Hooked up one monitor on DVI (a generic samsung). The gray boot screen comes up, with the Apple logo and the spinning indicator. At a certain point, the apple logo disappears and in its place is a circle with a line through it. The spinning indicator keeps spinning. This goes on for 10 plus minutes with no sign of progress. I've rebooted several times.

I did not install any software - I bought the card second hand and there was no software in the box. Plus, the install manual doesn't refer to installing any software.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to unplug everything next (all firewire, USB, external SATA (I have one of those cheap adapters that makes use of the onboard hidden SATA plugs, it uses the top card slot but of course doesn't actually go in the slot). Also, maybe I will boot off the Snow Leopard disk.

Oh, I have the latest snow leopard running.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

that does not sound like it has anything to do with the GPU. works fine if you switch back to 7300? what if you run both cards?

3. ces1965 thread starter macrumors member

I tried both cards in, but the same problem occurred. I could just put the 7300GT in again - to see if that fixes the problem. I have not tried that yet. It was working fine with that card alone before.

Maybe I will reset the NVRAM and PRAM? See http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1892?viewlocale=en_US

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

My 1,1 booted and ran perfectly with an Apple 4870 in the video slot.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

I got this problem when I had deleted "mach_kernel" file from my hard drive.

But try to reset PRAM and such.

6. ces1965 thread starter macrumors member

nothing wrong with the card

One of my hard drives went out - my RAID system drive. Must have gotten fried somehow when I changed the video card. Or an incredible coincidence.