Can't bootcamp? D:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by equinoxlol, Jul 27, 2012.

1. equinoxlol macrumors newbie

I have done this before, and I just recently deleted Windows because I needed more space on my Mac. Now that I have everything situated, I want to get Windows back, but I keep getting this message.
    [​IMG]

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

this is when even though there is free space on your HDD osx has files spread out over that free space (your HD is not far off from beign full so this it why it happens. You need to get a lot of stuff off your HDD. You could try idefrag before of after you have moved your stuff then it may install. If not then Back up your data format your HDD and re-install osx.

3. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

Often there are issues when you're low on free space... If Apple had designed it right, they could have worked around this issue, but I digress. The only way I know of to fix this is to restore from a backup and try again. However, using a disk defragmentation utility might actually fix this problem too. Can anyone confirm?

4. equinoxlol thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have money to purchase iDefrag, and I'll start removing un-needed stuff now and try again in a minute.

5. equinoxlol thread starter macrumors newbie

OKay I freed up some space and that still won't work. I tried putting 25gb on the partition, and had 40gb free on my Mac, and it still gave me the error message.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm not really sure why my post was deleted...

Have you tried creating a new partition in Disk Utility, then removing it and retry Boot Camp Assistant? If I remember correctly, partitioning in DU does in fact defragment the disk (to some extent).

7. equinoxlol thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about doing that?

8. hafr macrumors 68030

cmd+space, enter Disk Utility, hit enter, choose your hard drive, click on the button that says Partition, click on the little plus sign underneath to add a new partition.

9. equinoxlol thread starter macrumors newbie

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said in the other thread where you posted this, no, partitioning does not defrag a drive. However, there may be times when you need to defrag in order to partition a drive.

11. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just boot to your install disc or Recovery HD and run Repair Disk on the Macintosh HD. It will likely identify an issue and repair it. Then try running Boot Camp Assistant again.