Can't browse my camera? Support says NO!????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by albireojoe, Mar 11, 2009.

1. albireojoe macrumors newbie

I can't imagine this is true!
    I have a new Macbook Alum and wanted to see what pictures I have on my Canon SD870. When I plug it into my USB port I don't get a drive or device of any kind popping up.
    When I plug my camera into any WinXP or Vista computer it pops a window open and I can browse or open with another program.
    In my case I exclusively use Lightroom and Phototshop. My Mac will not import ANY images from my camera using either program.
    The ONLY way to see what I have on here is to use Iphoto or Preview import them - get them off them camera to a folder and THEN use Photoshop or Lightroom.
    The Apple tech said this is the way it's supposed to work!
    Say it isn't so!
    I want to be able to plug in my camera, pop open a window of the shots I just took and then right-click from there to edit with Photoshop...
    This is NUTS!
    Please help!!

2. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I pop the memory card out and put in a card reader and plug into a USB slot. I find it just as fast as plugging in the camera. This allows me to keep the camera in a safe place and not have a USB cable waiting for me to get tangled up in and tossing my camera across the room. lol The SD card will show up in finder and you can do what ever you want with it just like it was a thumb drive.. I use this cheap reader and works great.
    http://shop.sandisk.com/store/sdiskus/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.100075100

3. bstreiff macrumors regular

I installed gphoto2 from MacPorts, and used this script (along with galleryadd.pl) to upload my photos into a Gallery install from my SD500.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    GALLERYURL=http://foo.example.com/gallery
    USERNAME=username
    PASSWORD=secr3t
    GALLERYID=1046   #use galleryadd.pl to find out

# need somewhere to put photos
    TIME=`date "+%s"`
    mkdir -p ~/.cameratemp/${TIME}
    cd ~/.cameratemp/${TIME}

# get pictures
    killall PTPCamera  # die iPhoto die
    gphoto2 --auto-detect -P

# upload all downloaded images into gallery2, then delete off camera
    ~/bin/galleryadd.pl -g ${GALLERYURL} \
          -a ${GALLERYID} -u "${USERNAME}" \
          -p "${PASSWORD}" -G 2 -z ~/.cameratemp/${TIME}/*.JPG \
       && gphoto2 --auto-detect -D -R

I haven't used it in a long time (my iPhone has now become my primary 'take pictures of random things' camera), but you might be able to modify it to, for example, dump all the images on your camera into a folder on your desktop.

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You can also use Image Capture to save the pictures to a folder.

This is somewhat correct. Canon cameras do not display the card on the desktop, other brands do so it is more a Canon issue than a Mac one (but it is something that either company could fix).

My suggestion is to get a $20 card reader. Not only is it faster access than connecting the camera directly, it also won't use your camera's batteries.