Can't browse secure websites on my mac through PPPoE connection on briged router

Discussion in 'macOS' started by "W", Mar 29, 2009.

1. "W" macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've set up my Netgear DGN2000 router in bridge mode to accommodate 4 machines to connect to the internet through a PPPoE broadband connection. The mac connects through airport.

All the PC's in the setup can browse without problems.

The mac however can only log into certain secure websites (like facebook, online forums, online banking ext) but then no further browsing is possible. MSN can also not log on. Other websites seems to work just fine.

I'm running OS x 10.4.11, Firefox 3.0.8, Safari 3.0.4.

Steps I have already taken to try and solve the problem is:

Adjusted the MTU value (ranging fro 1500 to 1300) of the router and Mac airport.

Setup up the ISP DNS server ip on the router and / or Mac airport connection. I also tried certain "open" DNS ips.

Cleared the Mac DNS cache

Cleared the browser history and cookies.

Still no success..... I'm stuck:mad:

Please help!!!! Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the above steps I have tried, any other suggestions?

"W"

who is "W", where is "W", when will "W" strike again?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Did you test with normal MTUs on router/bridge, but reduced on the Mac's wireless interface?

Try this in firefox:
    Browse to about:config

network.http.pipelining set to true
    network.http.max-connections set to 8
    network.http.max-connections-per-server set to 3

3. "W" thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the reply.

I tried those settings, but still no luck

4. "W" thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just tried to connect to the internet without the router in bridge mode. Thus not using PPPoE on the Mac. With this configuration I was able to browse all websites.

As soon as I connect to the router in bridge mode again, I can't access these sites.

I've also set the router not to be used as the DHCP server to see if that resolves the problem. No luck there.

5. keeper macrumors 6502

Off the cuff, do you use open dns???

I put the IP's in my time capsule, but then found i could not access Palpal, or check for updates on my mac. Removed the 2 IP addresses and all returned to normal.

Cheers Phil

6. "W" thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I only used open DNS to test. But reverted to my IPS provided settings. I actually also tried leaving it blank..... same result

7. "W" thread starter macrumors newbie

hey guys.

I had to get a support guy from Netgear out to my place. All he did was change my router status to "modem only". That sorted the problem out. Now my mac can also browse all websites (including the secure ones).

I'm sure there would have been a solution while keeping it in router mode. But I'm at the point where the quick and easy solution really attracts me. I just wanted to get on with my life......

Thanx for your posts

"W"