Can't burn DVDs anymore, but CDs burn fine. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimwhit, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Not sure why this started all of the sudden. I can't burn to DVD, but CDs burn fine. I've burned dozens of DVDs off the current spindle, and I've tried several of the blank DVD-R that I have.

Any idea why that would happen if I can still burn a CD fine? Any suggestions on something I can do?

2. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Strange that you could burn CD's, but all of a sudden not DVD's. Makes me think it's software and not hardware based. Unless the laser inside the drive is far more complex mechanism than one might expect. I would find it hard to believe that a Superdrive would have separate mechanisms and mechanics for CD's and DVD's. You know what I mean?

Reset the PMU. That has fixed all sorts of strange hardware issues for me in the past. Basically you shut down the iMac (Assuming this from your signature). Unplug the power cord. Let it stand for around 20 seconds. Then plug the cord back into the iMac while you hold down the power button. If it's not the iMac I'm sure it's on the Apple site for what model the problem is happening on.

If all else fails you can go the dramatic route and restore entirely.

3. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Good suggestion. I'll try that. It is weird that it burns CDs and not DVDs. I tried two different programs to burn, and neither worked. Maybe resetting the PMU will help. Definitely worth a shot.

4. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

5. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Oh, Good. I'm glad. On my older iMac (iSight 2.1Ghz G5) I have to do that fairly frequently. The iSight often if not used won't work at all. Doesn't show up at all in the System Profiler. Happens to frequently Apple has a page on how to fix it. By you guessed it resetting the PMU. Next to PRAM zapping...PMU resetting is the first thing I do when I get a problem that might be hardware.