Can't Burn Using IDVD: Will DVD-RW Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SlaveToTheIMAC, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SlaveToTheIMAC macrumors member

Sorry for my ignorance: When I try to burn it appears to be burning but never completes. Am I using the right disc? I am trying to burn IMAGES not movies.

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Yep you sure can!! I have been using DVD-Rw's to muck around with.

Just make sure your dvd player on your tele supports DVD-RW formats

3. SlaveToTheIMAC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! But Let Me Ask:

When I go to burn it says it's burning but then there is no data on the disk. It never seems to complete burning and just disappears. Also sometimes a window will pop up and tell me something about how the disc is not properly set up or something to that effect. This should be EASY correct????????

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Does that error occur on all media you have tried with iDVD? Does this error happen when you using other burning software? If you burn a CD-RW or CD-R using the finder do u see data on it? If you burn some songs from itunes onto a cd-r and see if it plays them - This is all the test your drive isn't faulty

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I learned many years ago to save my iDVD projects as a disk image rather than burning directly to a DVD. You can then burn the image to a blank DVD using Disk Utility. This has the benefit of letting you check the image to see if the DVD will work as expected & you can burn multiple copies without having to go through the whole rendering process each time.

6. SlaveToTheIMAC thread starter macrumors member

Can You Clarify?

What is a "disk image" and how do you do it?
    Thanks!

7. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

A disk image is like the .dmg files a lot of software is downloaded as. You create an iDVD disk image from the File menu. It's near the bottom of the menu & says "Save as disc image." Once the image is created you can double-click it to mount it & then launch DVD player to view it. You can also burn a DVD by launching Disk Utility, dragging the image to the left-hand panel under the hard drive icons, highlight it & then click the Burn icon.