Can't buy an iPhone for someone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tuggster, Nov 6, 2007.

1. tuggster macrumors newbie

Hello all, first post here but have been a long time lurker!

Popped into the O2 next to my work to ask a few questions and during the conversation I mentioned I'd be picking up an iPhone for both myself and my brother come Friday and the shop assistant then said that my brother wouldn't be able to use his details to activate his iPhone if I bought it for him as the iPhone's I bought would be linked to my debit/credit card. This sounds like nonsense, firstly as I can't really see everyone wanting to use the same account to pay their subscription and secondly I can't see how Apple can link your one account to any others without massive violation of data protection (in fact, surely O2 sending Apple my account details, which he intimated they would do would violate data protection?)

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Also he stated that they may limit it to 1 iPhone per customer, despite the details on the O2 website. Surely they can't go against an advertised corporate policy, or rather, wouldn't? Again, anyone heard of this?

Sorry my first post is a couple of (negative) questions, but hopefully someone can help!

Cheers.

2. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

My assumptions are that the guy is talking out of his ass. I see no reason why you can't buy two and give one to someone else. The debit card isn't necessarily from the same account that you activate the iphone with, so I can't see how they're linked.

However, I can also see them limiting the initial night to 1 per customer depending on how big the queue lines get on Friday evening.

3. tuggster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply tico - much as I thought! Hopefully they won't drop the limit down to 1 per person or I'll have a bit of moral dilemma on my hands!

4. herodian macrumors member

everything is subject to Terms and Conditions, and in the small print it will say that all T&C's are subject to change without notice.

also, if Apple and O2 and CPW are in business together, they can share info between each other.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I don't think the issue is buying an iPhone for someone else, but rather that O2 may (either at the corporate level or individual stores) not sell iPhones without activation. They are within their rights to require in-store activation of the products they sell, especially given the launch rush and high demand along with concerns about resellers. The person you spoke to, though, as mentioned, could just be wrong.

If you want to buy one as a gift, I'd buy it at the Apple Store or order from Apple online.