Can't buy AT&T iPhone without an account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTinker, Sep 24, 2015.

1. iTinker macrumors newbie

From what I'm seeing Apple will not sell me an AT&T iPhone without being an AT&T customer. Is that correct?

In the past I've been able to just buy the T-Mobile model and put my AT&T (or AT&T MVNO) SIM in it but this year I want to get the actual AT&T model because it has the extra LTE band 30. It seems like this isn't something they allow though.

It seems kind of strange that I am wiling to pay full price for the phone but they won't sell it to me unless I either provide a current AT&T account or sign up for a new one. My issue is I just switched to Cricket last week and am using the Cricket SIM in my locked AT&T iPhone 6 right now with no problem, but if I had known I needed an AT&T account to buy the AT&T iPhone 6S I would have just waited a week before porting my number away from AT&T... seems kind of ridiculous that if I kept my AT&T account I could have bought the phone and then immediately canceled the AT&T account but since I did that a week ago I now can't buy the AT&T phone.

2. OrionsByte macrumors regular

OrionsByte

AT&T wants your phone service more than it wants to sell you a phone.

Why not just buy from the Apple Store? LTE band 30 is exclusive to the AT&T network and it's not even up in running in most places yet, so if you're on Cricket now I have no idea why you'd need that extra band.

3. iTinker thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently the only thing you can buy from the Apple Store right now is the T-Mobile phone unless you have service with one of the other providers. Cricket is AT&T so it will use LTE band 30.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It's so obvious people take phones back and forth between T-Mobile and AT&T. I don't know why Apple had to cause this difficulty/confusion regarding band 30.

5. techstyle macrumors member

techstyle

buy it under a friends account who has AT&T.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just get the T-Mobile model. The iPhone 7 will be out before Band 30 is widely utilized.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I am betting it will be iPhone 8. The T-Mo phone will be just fine for now.