Can't buy Edition Apple Watch Series 5

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Hedberg, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Hedberg macrumors member

Hey guys!

I live in Denmark and have the Apple Watch Series 4 SS 44mm. I saw the keynote and I was looking forward to order the Hermés Edition Watch this year, but for some reason neither of the Edition Watches - titanium, ceramic or Hermés - can be bought in Denmark (and a lot of other countries).

Anyone knows why edition watches aren't available here? Since we can order the SS s5 watches and use the e-Sim through several carriers this can't be the reason why. Furthermore, how was the estimates last year in countries where every watch version weren't available at launch?

Really bummed out at the moment due to my missing Hermés order :-(

2. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Consider yourself blessed.

What does the extra $700 or so USD does the Hermès edition bring to the table ? A fancy $25 leather strap and a Hermès Watch face. It still has the same internals as the aluminum model.

But, to each their own.

3. Hedberg thread starter macrumors member

I totally agree, but not every choice in your life has to be based on logic. Then I would be driving around in a dirt cheap car with 200k miles on the meter, since both cheap cars and expensive cars perform the same basic task: getting me from A to B ;)

4. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

I’m also not interested, but there’s certainly a difference between a Hermès strap and a $25 strap. It’s like comparing the leather seat of a Camry to a Bentley.

5. oeagleo macrumors 6502a

oeagleo

Maybe Apple should make a deal with "Coach", so us "financially challenged" people can have a nice leather strap too... LOL

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Nope, because there is zero difference in the Hermès watch and the Apple Watch. Same hardware, and with the exception of an added watch face, the same software.

Buy a used Yugo and compare it to a modern reliable auto. Big difference. I get something when buying a modern luxury vehicle.

Depends on where you get the strap, but yes generally there is.

It cost Hermès about $25 to make their leather strap in a modern sweat shop. Which what I was implying.

7. Hedberg thread starter macrumors member

Yea I know - it was just a bad analogy ;) Just wanted to clarify, that I obviously know that the increased cost can't be logically justified, but that doesn't mean that I don't want it! I am perfectly aware that the only thing I get is a watch band, a watch face and a sportsband - I just love the look of it, even though my Series 4 is nearly identical :)

Anybody with some explanation as to why the Edition watches aren't available when the SS version is though?

8. rnangie macrumors member

I have a Coach strap :) Present from my daughter

9. douglasf13 macrumors 68000

That's not true. The Hermès straps are actually hand made in Europe, like the rest of their leather goods. Now, like with any luxury good, I'm not completely justifying the price, but these are the real thing. Here is a little history: https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatc...ology/leather-lugs-making-hermes-watch-strap/

10. JoshCalvetti macrumors regular

JoshCalvetti

if all you care about is the internals, then yes the aluminum model is the way to go. But there's also a lot of people that have different taste and prefer other materials. Both are fine options. I find the aluminum models look much more like "I'm wearing a computer on my wrist" than the steel or ceramic. But hey, that's fashion

11. pdxmatts, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019

pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

I suppose you could just buy a Hermés band separately and put it on your SS S4?

12. Hedberg thread starter macrumors member

Yea I've thought about that solution as well - buying the S5 and black Hermés strap seperately, but for some reason even the Hermés straps aren't sold in the Apple Store in Denmark any longer (disappeared after the keynote) :(

13. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Reach out to Apple chat support and see if they can give you a reason.

Not even the Hermès online store for Denmark list them either. Certainly seems strange.

In the USA, all Hermès models except the nior color have a shipping date automatically a week later than the launch date. It seems like stock is extremely low, even before they started selling them. Maybe they’ll launch in Denmark at a later date?

14. GroningenNL macrumors member

GroningenNL

Don't know where you live in Denmark, but maybe going to Hamburg where there is a Apple Store and in Germany they will sell the titanium/ceramic edition. The Hermes i'm not shure.

15. Hedberg thread starter macrumors member

Tried giving Apple Support Denmark a call. They had no clue as to why no Edition Watches or the Hermés are available in Denmark or any idea/estimates on when or if they become available in Denmark... God...

16. jxfo macrumors newbie

Very strange. Apparently it's the same in Norway. Maybe you can pick one up at Apple Store in Helsingborg or in Germany as suggested above.

17. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

My best guess is that they have extremely low stock so they're doing a staged launch for the Hermes editions by country.

The bands are hand made and take awhile to assemble. This year seem to have particularly low stock.

18. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

The pricing of the s4 Hermes in Denmark was also a bit pointless. It was quite a bit more expensive, than buying the SS model + Hermes band separately. So you paid dearly to get the exclusive watch face and Hermes branding on the back.

I see now, that they also stopped selling the Hermes watch bands.

19. the future macrumors 65816

The Hermes Watches also have two years of warranty vs. one year for the regular Watches.

20. GroningenNL macrumors member

GroningenNL

Within the EU it's always minimum 2 years

21. the future macrumors 65816

No, it‘s absolutely not. Warranty is from Apple (the maker of the product) and is a) granted completely voluntarily and b) variable in length. Hence, in the EU the normal warranty (without Apple Care) for all Apple products is 1 year. The 2 years you‘re talking about is an obligation of the dealer you buy the product from; but it is not the same as warranty because after 6 months you have to prove that the product was already defective when you bough it - which is obviously hard to do.

22. GroningenNL macrumors member

GroningenNL

nope within the EU you are getting 2 years minimum warranty, if you bought it at Apple (physical store, online) then Apple must give you minimum 2 years warranty.

23. the future macrumors 65816

No, you are just wrong about this (like many people are). There are 2 very different forms of „warranty“. I don‘t know how to differentiate those in English, but in Germany the „warranty“ from the maker of the product is called „Garantie“, the obligation of the seller of the product is called „Gewährleistung“. The first is voluntarily given and varies in length, the second is an obligation by law. The first means that the maker will repair/replace the product for any reason (other than you breaking it). The second means that the seller has to repair/replace the product if it was alrady defect at the moment you bought it. Only in the first six months after the sale the seller would have to prove this wasn‘t the case if he refuses to repair/replace the product, after that the buyer would have to prove that the product was indeed defect from the very beginning, which is obviously very hard to do.

24. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

Even more so than the $250 difference here? Because you get the extra sport band and year of warranty too, at least in the US.

25. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Who cares? He didn't ask opinions on that. He asked why it is not available. Your post does not add value on this forum.