Can't change an icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tedesco24, Jul 16, 2010.

1. tedesco24 macrumors member

I'm having some trouble with an icon I tried changing in Snow Leopard.

I've changed a couple of the folder icons on my portable hard drive and on the desktop with no problem. However once I have changed them from the blue folder icon I can't change them again. Am I limited to changing from the blue folder to an icon and that's the end of it?

One of the folders I tried to switch didn't work properly and now instead of a blue folder or an icon I am left with a icns stock image.

2. tedesco24 thread starter macrumors member

can't change folder icons

I've included the screenshot. Notice in the top of the icon "get info" panel the image does not match the image below in the preview section. Any idea why? Whenever I try to cut and paste the icon onto the "Bill's extras" panel the icon image that appears is the bland ico. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Well, you should be able to revert back to whatever the default icon for that file type is by clicking on the icon in the Get Info window (it will highlight blue), and pressing delete.

I would suggest looking into something more robust like Candybar (http://www.panic.com/candybar/) for further icon changing.