Can't change desktop icon back to normal.. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simsigon, Aug 1, 2011.

1. simsigon macrumors newbie

Please help me..I'm really desperate!! I did a stupid thing -.-
    I just wanted to check if it was possible to change the desktop icon on the sidebare as I read about that somewhere around here..they said that by simply going to the 'get info' and dragging the icon that you wanted into the upper left simbol,it would change. It actually worked! But here comes the bad news..I don't like my new icon and i want the old one back..turns out you can't change back!!! All you can do is keep dragging new icons into the upper left corner...I'm really desperate..I don't want my stupid desktop to look like that anymore! Can anyone please help me?
    To make it clear, normally desktop icons look like this:
    http://www.imagebanana.com/view/ijd73igv/macfindernoapplications.png

Mine looks like this -.- ( look above the blurry home icon..you see?! it's a glass folder icon which i don't wanna have anymore!)
    http://www.imagebanana.com/view/h5r9n40o/Capturadepantalla20110801alas17.58.2.png

Oh and another thing...suddenly the big folder icon on the right changed aswell! :eek: I'm really depressed 'cause it looks awful! The blurry big folder icon on the right which says 'Escrito..' is how it looks now..the icon next to it is how it is supposed to look!!!! :confused: Please help me..i beg you! :(
    thank you-

2. dbramhall, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

dbramhall macrumors newbie

Delete them...

To change the icons back to their default state, simply click the icon and press down CMD+I and then the Get Info box should appear, then click on the icon in top left corner so it is select and, with it selected, press CMD+X and then close the dialogue and you should find the icon back to the default state. Unfortunately, you'll have to do this for every icon effected.

Alternatively, you can download an app called CandyBar from Panic and that allows you to change the icons although I don't have much experience with that application... http://panic.com/candybar/

3. simsigon thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the quick reply! unfortunatly i did so and since i changed the icon a few times it would just go back to the one before (not the original one) :( also,i use candybar but in candybar the icon has not changed at all..it's still the normal desktop one..no blurry no changed which is quite strange!!

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Try this. Do all as dbramhall states except instead of CMD+X use the Delete key. Log out and in or restart.

5. simsigon thread starter macrumors newbie