Can't change firefox icon since updating to 26.0

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quickquestion, Dec 17, 2013.

1. quickquestion macrumors newbie

I have changed most of my application icons on my OX 10.6.8 mac book pro and the dock looks just right. :) But since updating to Firefox 26.0 it's been impossible to change that icon.
    I've done the regular get info copy and paste over and over,
    I've unlocked and changed the Sharing & Permission status giving everyone read & write privileges but nothing works.
    Can you help?
    Thank you.

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You could try copying the icon you want into the Application bundle. /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/firefox.icns would be the file to be replaced.

3. quickquestion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to access the application bundle.

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Graphically open Finder go to Applications folder right click on the Firefox.app then Show Package Contents double click on the Contents folder then the same on Resources there you will see the firefox.icns to replace. Command line open Terminal.app located in the Applications -> Utilities folder the type in and hit Enter key.

Code:
    cp /path/to/your/replacement.icns /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/firefox.icns

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Another way:

Right click Firefox App> Show Package Contents> Contents> Resources

Inside Resources you will find the .icns logo. Just replace that .icns logo with the one you want and that should do it. Photos posted below for you to follow. Before you replace the .icns logo, save it somewhere else in case you want to switch it back.

Attached Files:

6. quickquestion thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks to the two of you. Given my hesitation of entering the terminal and changing commands I tried firedept's suggestion first and it worked! Yay!! :D
    Thank you, thank you!