Can't change icons with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ndassassin, Aug 30, 2009.

1. ndassassin macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am trying to change the icons for certain things on my Macbook and after installing Snow Leopard it isn't allowing me to do this. Anyone else try to change icons on their Snow Leopard machine? If I click "get info" on both the application/folder I want to change and the icon I want to use then try and select the icon up in the top and copy, when I try to paste it over the other icon I get a "can't do that" sound. This worked fine on my Macbook before Snow Leopard. Any ideas?

2. jds4300 macrumors member

Same Problem

I am having the same issue with .ico and PNG files. What's the deal?

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

4. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

5. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

It seems to only be the OSX Leopard icons (Address Book, Mail, etc.) UGH! I HATE the brown address book!

6. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

Yeah you're right, I just tried changing the address book icon and couldn't, however it let met change 3rd party app icons.

7. jds4300 macrumors member

Solved this STUPID Problem in Snow Leopard!!!

In the Applications folder, find the icon of the, for example, Address Book. Click Get Info. In the Permissions section at the bottom of the Get Info tab, change Everyone to Read and Write. By the way, click the lock at the bottom of the pane if it is locked, and open it first, otherwise you wont be able to change anything. Now you can close this pane and change icons to your hearts content.

8. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

What file type are you people using to change the icon? I tried icns, ico, png. None of them work.

9. dasteve003 macrumors newbie

That worked!! Thanks so much, I put my permissions back after changing the icon since Snow Leopard's default had it that way but that definitely worked!!

(If the app your changing the icon for is in your dock you may need to quit the application and relaunch it, or possibly remove it from your dock and then readd it to see the new icon show up in your dock.)

Thanks again!!

10. smok46 macrumors newbie

Can't change icons with Snow Leopard

Thanks for advice, but is not working for me. When I open Info I can not change Everyone to Read and Write because has only one option - Read ?!
    Any new idea what to try. I run out of them already.

11. sbaudot macrumors newbie

Open 'Get Info' as described above. Click the padlock at the bottom right of that screen (which is likely to be in the closed position). This will prompt you for your password. Follow the instructions above, and it should now work.

12. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

yep thats it. I had the same issues on day one of my SL update.. worked on it for hours before i saw it was the o so obvious permissions :rolleyes:I change all my icons... ALL THE TIME:)

As to file type.. sometime when you download .icns which is the correct file format.. on occasion it still wont work use this (the free version)
    http://www.img2icnsapp.com/
    if you have any type of file just drop the icon in the image box and click the icns icon and it will export a new copy to the same location. This always works for me. This also allows me to turn any image i like into an icon

ENJOY:apple::apple:

13. smok46 macrumors newbie

Can't change icons with Snow Leopard

Thank you , but........... it is not working for me, again !
    I did exactly what you advice.:confused:

Attached Files:

14. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Something interesting that I found since upgrading to Snow Leopard is that when you open a picture file in Preview, you have to select the entire picture and then copy it in order to change an icon. In Leopard, I was able to just click on the picture in Preview and copy/paste the entire thing without having to 'Select All'.

15. huski macrumors newbie

huski

Changed, I hate that ****** picture with that smiling boy in Preview icon

16. nineoha macrumors newbie

"Are you sure you want to permanently erase the items in the Trash?" icon issues

Hello

I am currently having issues after I replaced my Finder Icon. I was able to successfully complete this via LiteIcon. Although, I have recently came into some issues. Whenever I get alerts such as, "Are you sure you want to permanently erase the items in the Trash?", the icon is a generic Application icon. Prior to this, it would come out as my normal Finder icon.

Where were I paste my new finder icon to eliminate this generic Application one?

Salutations

17. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

sweet ! I just upgraded to SL. My dock was looking nice too. Now I have to find all the icons I was using

18. JC1982 macrumors newbie

JC1982

Thanks jds4300. Your directions worked perfectly!

19. kingrob macrumors newbie

kingrob

thanks!! it work for me!!

20. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

21. ausnutter macrumors newbie

My problem is that the icon for the .icns file never shows up.. when I try to change it, I am stuck with the default .icns icon, and not the custom one. Any help?

[​IMG]

22. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

use http://www.img2icnsapp.com/ software and change the file to a actual physical icon..thats what i do

23. smd1280 macrumors newbie

This worked for me

here's the thread I found it at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=467159

"to use a .png file as icon do this:

1) Open the .png file in Preview
    2) Press command-A to select the entire image
    3) Press command-C to copy the selection
    4) Control-Click on the file/folder you would like to change
    5) Click the icon (so there is a frame around it)
    6) Press command-V to paste the image into that

Done. Enjoy!
    /Rupert "

24. ReiToei macrumors newbie

Using Candybar, I changed my dock icons. Works great, with two/three exceptions: Ical, documents and downloads. Candybar devs acknowlegde the problems with iCal. I don't care, never use it. With the documents and downloads folders in the dock the problem is - they're dynamic - change when something new is put in/downloaded.

Is there any way for me to make those icons static?

25. huski macrumors newbie

huski

Thanks worked great for me, I don't like this silly kid in Preview icon. WTF he smiling for? ;)