Can't change info for some items in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JSt83, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JSt83 macrumors newbie

I've been trying to get my audio library organized in iTunes. This is being complicated however, by some info that's rather reluctant to be edited. I've googled this issue but only found some answers for Windows users, and something about read/write permissions. These permissions are all good though, so that ain't it. Any suggestions?

Btw, using latest iTunes on OS X.

2. Bear macrumors G3

For a song that you can't modify, select the song in iTunes, right click the song and select Reveal in Finder. From the finder, do a Get Info for the file. Is the file showing as locked? If it is, that is your issue. I consider this a bug in iTunes - it should ask if you want to modify locked files. Please file a bug report or provide feedback to Apple about this issue.

Attached Files:

3. PinkyMacGodess, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Be careful though. I started 'organizing' my iTunes library and ended up having to rebuild it because something went nuts. I somehow obliterated the information on a whole artist's album collection in my library and couldn't get it back any other way. I think it was probably mildly corrupted over time and my getting in there and 'organizing' pushed it over the edge.

I was trying to move some albums/artists out of the 'Compilations' category and put them into the existing artists category, add artwork, and fix some tags that were crazy. I ended up having to delete one particular artist completely, and copy all that content off another system to fix it, then the rebuild. The library seems a whole lot more stable, but I had to resynch all my idevices with the 'new' library, which was tedious...

4. JSt83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay Bear this is great thanks. This, in combination with this thread on disabling security for multiple items at once allowed me to organize my library in less time I had expected it to take.

@PinkyMacGodess: Thanks for the heads up.