Can't change Mac App Store app icons?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PXL Creations, Feb 28, 2011.

1. PXL Creations macrumors member

So I just downloaded NewsRack for my Mac and I wanted to change the icon to fit my theme. I opened up the folder, replaced the .icns file with my new one, and attempted to open it. However, it would not open. So I replaced it with the original icon and then it worked, what gives? Am I doing something wrong or is Apple not allowing the changing of icons?

2. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

I tried that of course, but that doesn't change the icon at all. This is a new issue with app store apps, doesn't happen with other ones.

3. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

GGJstudios, all you seem to do is post links to other topics. Are you the forum cop or something?

Aside from that, your solution does not work for apps purchased from the Mac App Store.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

App Store apps are, like some non-app store built in apps, code signed. You cannot change any file within the app bundle without breaking the code signing.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a link to another topic. It's a link to a method of changing icons, in direct response to the question, as suggested in the Forum Rules:
    You can make an alias to the app and change the icon of the alias, using the method I posted a link to.

6. Aidoneus macrumors 6502

A method of changing icons which doesn't address the OP's concerns.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does if you read all of my last post. Are YOU a forum cop? If you don't like my posts, ignore them. If you feel they violate forum rules, report them. You post your way and I'll post mine.

8. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

So there is no way to do it?

Right but when the app is opened, it's icon changes back to the original.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting, because it doesn't do that with other apps. The alias icon changes? That doesn't make sense, since it's a completely separate file, not under the control of the app. Does that only happen to you with App Store apps?

10. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

Yes, because I think that even though I changed the icon of the alias, it is still getting all the resources from the original, making the icon change back to the original when opened.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where did you put the alias? Did you try putting it on the Dock or your Desktop?

12. PXL Creations thread starter macrumors member

Dock... I think the only way for this to work is to be able to create your own icons and resign it with the app's signature.