Can't Change Macintosh HD Icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spankey, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Spankey macrumors 6502a

I've tried changing the Macintosh HD icon using the coretypes.bundle. The problem is, the Get Info window is showing the Preview icon instead of the correct iMac icon. Is there a way to correct this? A different default program maybe?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Right click/control click on the HD. Select get info. Do the same for the icon file you want to use. Highlight the icon in the upper left corner. You will see it glow in blue. Command-C to copy it. Highlight the same icon on the HD get info window. Command-V to paste. Can't do it to the larger preview icon below. Use the small one at the top of the get info window.

3. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've been doing it in the smaller window. That is my problem. The image in the top left window is that of Preview. It is not showing the selected icon.

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

This isn't working for me. It works for drives I've plugged in (thumb drives, external HDs etc) but not for Macintosh HD. Curious.

5. chatoyer macrumors regular

Make sure you have full read and write privileges on the 'Macintosh HD' - under Get Info.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Try clicking the lock down in the right corner of the "Get Info" dialog. Unlocking the disk did the trick for me.

7. Spankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem isn't with the Macintosh HD icon. It is the icon that I choose from coretypes.

8. JonD25 macrumors 6502

You just need to click that top left icon and copy........ just kidding.

I used a program called Iconverter to convert it to something that worked. An .icns file worked for me.