Can't change my homepage in safari

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dingo Dave 69, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

When I click on PREFERENCES under Safari I do not get the usual window I get this

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

seems like you lost your icon bar, try trashing (or renaming) your plist.

3. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

ok I have tried deleting my safari.plist in my library and then resetting safari and its still happening, any other tips or ways I can get my safari.plist back?

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Doesn't the little lozenge-shaped thingy show up at the top right? If so, click it. If not, I'm out of ideas.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Have you done any mods or installed any applications that modify your windows appearances?

6. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

I installed 1password recently as part of the macheist bundle, don't know if this could cause the problem?

Is there anyway I can save my bookmarks in Safari, then uninstall and reinstall safari?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there supposed to be a oval button on top right corner......but I didn't see one....strange:confused:

8. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

10. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Clevin, gave it a go and the same thing I am afraid.

I logged into my mac on the guest account and that one is working fine, just seems to be the admin account thats affected.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

try this. it wont give you back the toolbar but it will put you back in the general section to change your homepage.

open System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts and select "All Controls" at the bottom. then assuming the first box in safari preferences is highlighted press tab five times then press space. the general section should open.

12. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

I gave this a try and it didn't work, instead it went through the options in the box and put a tick in the top box "Never use fonts smaller than". I really am not having much luck.

I uninstalled 1password and restarted safari but the problem was still there. So far the only way to get it to work is to login to another account. There must be a way to fix this :confused:

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oh, Safari's preferences are probably not even registering the other sections, so pressing tab just cycles though the settings and not the toolbars that are not showing at the top.

try deleting all the user cache files in ~/Library/Caches and all the main cache files in /Library/Caches and reboot (dont worry this wont hurt anything).

14. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

FIXED!

Ok I am new to Macs so don't complain about how I fixed it lol.

I deleted the safari.plist and then restarted the mac and it worked ok. Previously I just dragged the plist out of the preferences folder and sat it on the desktop before restarting Safari.

I have my tabs back :)

Thanks for all the help guys, your a nice bunch :D

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

More to satisfy my curiosity than anything else:

Since you mentioned you were new to Macs and your previous attempts at moving/deleting the .plist file had failed, when you quit out of Safari either before or after moving/deleting the .plist, did you go to Safari->Quit, use command+q, or did you just click on the red circle in the upper left corner?

16. Dingo Dave 69 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it a few times atszyman, once my going to Safari 0 Quit and once by command+q. I thought the red button just closes the window but leaves the program running? Generally I command+q to close a program.

Thanks for all the help though guys, it's good to have a place thats so helpful!

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

YOu are absolutely correct in your assessment of the red button, and the difference between it and command+q or Safari->Quit. Since you mentioned being new, and Windows quits apps with the close button, that it may have been the reason the .plist wasn't updating, but my theory has been proven wrong.