Can't change partition size/not full size

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcin0903, Oct 21, 2009.

1. marcin0903 macrumors regular

I changed my partition size firstly from (full disk size) about 160GB to 80GBs in order to create a new one which was another 80GBs after that I decided to just leave this 160GB and one partition, so I did what I decided, but now there is a problem. I did everything under Installation CD and than it shows in Disk Tool that the partition is 160GB on diagrams but under it it shows: total size 80GB... and the same is when I launching Snow Leopard. I'm clicking Macintosh HD and informations than it shows total size: 80GB, I tried to change again partition sizes but it does nothing, I cannot do anything under Mac OS and bootable installation disc. I'm completely stuck it shows, always and always that "Spliting in to partitions finished due an error - could not modficate partition's map".

Any issues?

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

"Could not modify partition map" sounds ominous.

First things first, back up your data!

With an error like that, I'd want to erase the hard drive, and then restore from a backup. If you have diagnostic tools that can perform some in-depth hard drive tests (surface scan, etc), I'd run that*just to be safe.