Can't change the default program for mp4's from my HP printer's software!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greyham28, Jul 10, 2012.

1. greyham28, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

greyham28 macrumors newbie

For some reason all my mp4 files are now opening with my printer's software. I don't want to uninstall my printer, but I do want my video files to open with VLC. I tried to use the Information window to set VLC as the default program for all files of the mp4 type, but every time I change it, it resets to HP Photosmart Print! The Info window also says it's an "HPIP" file -- is that right or is that why it's opening with HP software? I don't watch a lot of videos, and certainly not many mp4's, but I've checked 3 or 4, all from different dates/sources and they are all having this problem. Interestingly, if I right click the file, it says that VLC is the default (and will open with VLC if I right click and choose that program) but if I simply do the cmd-O or double-click the file, it still opens with HP Photosmart Print. The first time it happened, the video did actually play (why does my printer have the capability to play video files in the first place?) but ever since, it just opens HP Photosmart and the video doesn't even play!

Also, I can change the default program to VLC for individual mp4's, but if I click "Change All" then it reverts to Photosmart Print for that file.

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

uninstall your printer software and see if the vlc then will play the files by clicking them like it use to you then reinstall the printer software and try again sometimes software just glitches with out reason

and also try repairing permission as sometimes that can fix those issues

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I seem to recall default application data being written to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist. Have you tried pulling that file, logging out and back into your user account and re-testing the behavior? Note that if this has the intended effect, you may have to set back up various file associations. You can also try downloading Onyx (or something similar) and rebuilding LaunchServices from the Automation tab.

4. greyham28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can report that repairing disk permissions didn't solve the problem. Also, I am hesitant to uninstall and reinstall my printer until I can find the original disc/documentation; though, if I am not able to find it, I may dig around HP's website to see if the necessary drivers are available there. The ability to print is *slightly* (read: extremely) more important to me than avoiding the inconvenience of a right click for a minority of rarely used video files.

By "pulling that file" do you mean trash it? I'm initially disinclined to trash Mac files, I suppose. Is that the only function of the file? If so, I haven't changed that many default file associations -- mostly just my video files to open with VLC, so erasing them wouldn't be a big deal. Also, I don't have OnyX, but now I'm considering downloading it. At this point, I think I'll wait until after Mountain Lion hits, so I can make an informed decision about whether to upgrade and see if OnyX for Snow Leopard will keep being supported if I don't.

I'll let you know once I've tried both of those suggestions, or if something else (maybe just upgrading the OS?) does the trick.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To clarify, yes, by pulling the file I mean putting it in Trash. However, you could accomplish the same intent by dragging it to the Desktop; by removing it from the default location, OS X can't read it and will have to create a new one when you log out and back into your user account. If something breaks as a result you can replace the newly generated file with the copy on the Desktop and do the log out/log in to return to the previous setup.

Re: Onyx, the developer released an updated version of Onyx for Lion, but it did take some time for it to be made compatible. In any event, upgrading the OS does not affect that LaunchServices.plist, it will be preserved as are all user and system preferences. Let us know how things end up.