Can't change time machine backup interval

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Running 10.5.8 on a dual G5 here.

I can't change the time machine backup interval!

I've tried using defaults write from the terminal as the root user, tried editing the backupd-auto .plist with Property List Editor, and tried using the Secrets preference pane.

Nothing has worked, it always backs up every hour.

Any ideas?

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I do not believe you can change the times. At first this bothered me also but now it doesn't matter to me. I got used to it and now I am kinda happy it does backups every hour. If only I could get this problem I have with it fixed I'd be even happier.

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Looks OK, might end up using it, but I was hoping t find a way to change the interval purely through the system instead of using a third party app to trigger it.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You can...by using terminal commands. Time Machine Editor is just an app that performs those terminal commands via a GUI.

5. Damo01 macrumors regular

You can't change the auto time interval or the magic number for TM. You'll end up breaking it, stoping it from working.

Use carbon copy cloner instead for backup. It better and you can adjust the interval time.

6. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Do you know what those terminal commands are? The defaults write command I've tried doesn't seem to work.