Can't change vnc:// address in Screen Sharing preference

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beatledud, Dec 9, 2009.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

I'm trying to redo the ridiculous naming system for our Macs in our office. I've changed the Computer name to "MP-01" and the local hostname to "MP-01.local" correctly. However when selecting the screen sharing option, i get the following:

Screen Sharing: On

Other users can access your computer at vnc://employeename.domain.com/ or browse for “MP-01”.

The domain is our personal domain and that looks fine. But the employee name that precedes it, I can't find where to change that. The weird thing is it wasn't the name of the Computer before I changed it, nor is it an employee that has ever used this machine.

2. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

3. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Mine says:

I suspect that there is a reverse DNS lookup on the address and your DNS server provides the hostname you are seeing.

4. gorn macrumors member

Macs are kind of buggy with hostnames.

If the DHCP server gives FooBar 192.168.1.10, then FooBar leaves and the DHCP server gives a mac 192.168.1.10, the mac will think that it is now FooBar. Normally this only lasts for a very short time and only when first connecting to the network.

5. wkearney99 macrumors member

wkearney99

It's the DHCP server that's giving the Mac the IP address. If it's set up with leases and DNS integration that would explain it. It's a nice feature to have, the DNS and DHCP integration. But it is one that can require the network administrator to maintain. Ask them to fix the reverse IP address for your DHCP address.

You may, however, have no choice if company policies dictate using the format you're seeing. Best you'll get is the /right/ name being shown.