Can't check SSD as startup disk!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saf876, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Saf876 macrumors newbie

Hi!..
    I got an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD and it runs fine and it's fast when using the computer. But the boot up time is so ridicules slow, slower then my old 500GB 7200RPM drive. My boot up time is around 37 sec with the SSD. The Apple logo came's up and the spinning wheel spinning forever!.

I think I know what the problem is, it's searching for like 25 sec for the first boot drive, and it can't find my SSD. Other people I know here on Macrumors just checked the SSD in the "Start up" in System Preferences and reboot, then they getting fast boot time. When I check my SSD and press reboot, it's still slow and when I later check the Start Up disk, none disk is selected (neither the SSD or "Network startup"...

Here is how it always look like when going in to System Preferences -> Startup Disk after a reboot, none is selected... (sorry for the Swedish language, I hope you will understand)
    [​IMG]

What should I do to fix this problem? (I've tried to reset NVRAM, PRAM and SMC, but with no luck)...

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Haha. "Startskiva." Morsomt.

Anyway, I suspect that no default boot option is actually selected, so it searches for bootable volumes in the SuperDrive etc before it finds the volume on the SSD. Just select the SSD and reboot it, see if it gets any better.

3. Saf876, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

Saf876 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, yes, especially when there are no readable discs in SSD
    Well, It was not successful. I tried to hold the ALT key and choose to boot the SSD and count the boot time until the desktop came up and was 36 seconds.

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That is very strange. Might I suggest doing a backup and a clean install, just to see what happens?

5. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

maybe try reformatting the ssd in disk utility? make sure its for mac osx.

6. Saf876 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope.. It don't work, I've already tested that once.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Saf>> I'm not sure you have selected a startup disk from that screen cap you posted. Look at my screen cap how it shows the startup disk selected in blue (this was with me just opening the pref pane and not doing anything else). Make sure you open the pref pane, click the startup disk you want, then click the restart button to the right of the pref pane. Then recheck the pref pane after restart and it should be selected like mine is.

8. Saf876 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've done that several times.. it's still wants to be unselected!

9. dyn macrumors 68030

Did you also use the GUID Partition Table (GPT) or the old Apple Partition Map?

10. Saf876 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I used GUID Partition Table (GPT)