Can't choose a MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qinetic, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Qinetic macrumors member

I'll try to make this as concise as I can so that I get more good replies and don't have to include a TL;DR summary at the bottom. :p

I want to get into a music production so I decided to buy a MBP to get a good, stable machine. After measuring the pros and cons of both products I just can't decide what to do. I bought the 13" to get something in my hands to use but I'm still not sure I made the right decision.

I want to use the machine mostly for:
    -Music production with Ableton Live 8
    -Moderate gaming with WoW in a raid setting (quite graphics intensive for those who don't know)
    -General use (music/word processing/web browsing)
    -Portability
    -At home use with a 21.5" display.

So the main issue is that I've ran WoW on the 13" and it is far from pleasing. It's near impossible, but the big seller on the 13" is the size.

The 15" has the dedicated graphics that I need, but it's lacking in the super portability.

I guess what I'm saying is that the best option for me would be a 13" with a graphics card option, which is frustratingly not offered by Apple.

I don't know what to do and I'm not even sure what kind of advice I'm looking for. I'm just getting my thoughts out until I can make a final decision.

Thanks!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Get the 15 inch, preferably with 6750m.

With high setting I do occasionally get drops down below 20 FPS in raids at high settings on the 2011 MBP with 330m.
    Base 15 inch has 6490m, which is slower than the 330m.

People here will probably tell you that all macs will run Wow flawlessly, but get the 15 inch with 6750m.

3. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

So the new dedicated graphics are WORSE than the old integrated graphics? If this is at all true then that is truly pathetic of an upgrade. I'm not going two upgrades up ($800) for still mediocre graphics. I guess my mind is made up. I'll just keep my PC for gaming, along with my 13" for everything else, even though I was really looking forward to an all-in-one laptop home solution.

Also, to many of those on this forums: Please stop saying that Macbooks will run WoW just fine. You are ignorantly claiming that just because it is an older game that it doesn't require the graphic power. You are very, very wrong. I have seen this blatantly stated so many times.

4. -Ken- macrumors regular

+1

My 13" is fast for most applications but I'm definitely saving my 'intense' gaming for the PC.

5. -Ken- macrumors regular

Thats the way to go.

The 13" was never designed for gaming IMO.

6. Qinetic thread starter macrumors member

This is definitely the route I will be going. I am just really saddened that the ONLY use that my Windows machine will have now is for gaming, and 1 game at that. This will involve a switch, and multiple adapters because I only have 1 monitor.

I'm glad the decision is made though. Now I have to decide how it will be setup.