Cant choose which disk to boot from? Option key isnt working!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tbch2325, Mar 14, 2011.

1. tbch2325 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Juist got a new MBP and installed windows. For some reason when i boot up the machine and hold the option key, nothing happens and it boots straight into OSX. The key seems to work fine inside OSx e.g. command+c etc

Thanks!!!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Command and Alt/Option are two separate keys. Are you sure you're holding the right one?

On a US keyboard they are right next to each other. Command is used for things like Copy/Paste while Alt/Option is used for things like making accented characters Alt/Option-e e gives e with an acute accent.

B

3. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doh! thought the option button was the command key, ill try ALT ;)

4. smikey macrumors newbie

MacBook Air boot issue

On my MB Air 13, I've tried both option keys when booting, and I don't get the option to boot up OS. In fact, when pressing the button, I can hear the machine start, but nothing happens. If I don't press the option button, windows does start up. Any feedback would be appreciated.

5. alan111 macrumors regular

try the alt/option key. IF the one on the left side of the keyboard doesnt work, then try the key on the otherside of the keyboard.

6. smikey macrumors newbie

both keys

Hi, thanks, but I've tried both, neither are working. any other suggestions?

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Either go into startup disk and select the Windows partition every time you want to use it (which is a pain), or try rEFIt which is excellent.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/education/resources/bootpicker/ is another option if you don't want or need everything REFIt brings with it.

B