Can't click anything on my 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stickyriceballs, Jul 11, 2011.

1. stickyriceballs macrumors newbie

A little quick story:

Everything has been working fine with the computer since yesterday. Went for a day trip with some friends to a city, 3 hours away. When i came back and used my computer, it asked me to update so of course i said yes. When i did and it restarted. It would take 10 times as long to start up and when it got to the main screen, I could move my cursor but i could not click anything on the screen, nothing gets highlighted and my keyboard commands do nothing.

After around 10 minutes of waiting though, what ever i clicked from before would start up but it would only last for a few minutes before i can't click anything again. I've restarted it countless of times but its the same everytime.

This is my first mac so I am still new to macs, and i've only had it for around 10 months. Most searches i've done up on this forum have came up with people being able to use their keyboards and click things still.

It works fine when i turn it on in safe mode but from then on i don't really know what i'm supposed to do to fix it. I have warranty still but I want to try and fix it at home before I have to bring the 40 pound computer and walk to the apple store from the entrance of my mall.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Vince

2. sth macrumors 6502a

Could be a failing hard-drive.

1) Make sure you have a backup
    2) Boot from the installation DVD and use Disk Utility to check the hard-drive
    3) If the hard-drive is okay, try running Apple Hardware Test (AHT), which is also located on one of the installation DVDs

3. stickyriceballs thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay that helps a lot, i'm just going to google how to do all that.

Because i was actually just going to move all my files into a separate hard drive and just pretty much reformat everything. But a backup would be a hell of a lot easier for me.

Thanks, for you help, i'll report back if i find out what is wrong.