Can't close get info bar on searched files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SLR2009, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, when I click "Get Info" on any file that I search for on my Computer, "Fetching" appears under "more info and hangs. I then won't be able to close the Get Info Bar.

The only way to close the get info bar is to click on any open window and then the info for that files appears.

I have no issue closing the get info bar on any file on my computer that's in a folder, desktop, or located anywhere else on my computer. This only occurs with files that I search for in Finder. Please help

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Please provide your OS version.

Your screen is filled with Get Info windows that you've opened and can't close?

3. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Oops sorry I forgot to add that info. I've got a Mac Pro which is running Leopard 10.5.8. If I search for a file and then click "get info" I can't close the window that pops up. I appreciate the help.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, you said that above. My question, rephrased is Are there still a bunch of open Info windows on your screen now, or did they go away (after a Restart, for example)?

Try a different User Account. Does it do the same thing?

5. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I logged into another account and I was able to close the "Get Info" window right away.

On the account where I have this issue I can close the "get info" window if I click on the finder window that I used to search for files, otherwise clicking the X won't close the window, Relaunching finder also closes the window.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

By that you mean Restart, I suppose. I see all kinds of interesting terminology used to talk about the Finder. I always wonder if there's something I don't know, or if it's just creative linguistics. It always helps to refer to technical things by the terms chosen by the industry or even the manufacturer. At least, I think so.

Glad you zeroed in on the culprit. Hope it lasts!

7. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the help but I still haven't fixed this problem. it seems to occurring on just this account. Is there some preference that I could trash that might fix the finder window so it can close?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, you have fixed it. You used a different account, and the problem went away. That means the other account is corrupt. All you need to do is Trash the corrupt account, and use the new one.

I don't know of a Get Info preference (plist file). That's not the solution. You have the solution.

9. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Actually, Relaunching the Finder is the technical term used by Apple. Try choosing "Force Quit" from the Apple Menu and selecting Finder. The OP was right. ;)

10. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but this is my Admin account. Can I delete the Admin account? if I do will I lose all my files? Will all my photos from my Admin account remain in Iphoto if I'm logged into another account? Thanks

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, you will not lose files. The User Account does not store files, they're safe in your folders. You just have to give Admin privileges to a new account. Read up on it in Mac Help. I've created a new troubleshooting account with admin privileges, so I know it can be done. But, I don't want to steer you wrong.

12. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

YES, he WILL lose files if he deletes that user account.

Files stored in Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music, Sites, Downloads, etc. folder are stored within user accounts and are destroyed when accounts are deleted.

OP, if you want to preserve your files, either copy them to the root of your hard drive (a folder on Macintosh HD, but not inside your use folder) or choose "Keep Files" when you delete the account, and then copy the files to your new account.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

From Mac Help:

So, create a new account with administrator privileges first. Then delete the corrupt one and select the option to save that user folder.

If you followed my advice to check Mac Help, you already knew that. Thanks to both of you for helping me to expand my knowledge base.