Can't colour label files imported from old Mac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by schixzotic, Jan 6, 2010.

1. schixzotic macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently bought a MacBook Pro, and I used Migration Assistant to move my folders over to the new MacBook.

When I tried to label the folders by colour, however, I realised that that option is greyed out! New folders that I create can be colour labelled, but not the imported ones. How do i colour label these imported folders?

Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have something for you to try. Pick the highest level folder, right click and pick get info. Then take a look at permissions. Make sure you have read and write permissions for the folder and everything inside. After making sure you have permissions, you should be able to do whatever you like to the files. The colors and such are stored in a folder called .ds_store and phantom files called ._whatever.txt where the original file was called whatever.txt. But these files don't get created if you don't have read/write permission on the folder that contains them. This would make it impossible to set colors for files.

Here is another thing to try. Pick any folder. Copy it and paste it somewhere else on your system. See if you can set colors on the copies you just made.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could try Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility. Also, do a Get Info (Command + I) on the file and check if it's Locked, if so unlock it and you should be able to apply a label.

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

maybe the folders or files are locked. (see the ``info'' panel)

5. schixzotic thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU. It was a permissions problem!