Can't completely empty trash; HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snakester, Jan 2, 2010.

1. snakester macrumors newbie

Everytime I try to empty my trash, my mac mini just kinda sits there and locks up for a few seconds, and then says "Finder could not complete this operation because some data in 'gfx' could not be read or written (Error code: -36)" and gives me the option to continue or stop. If I continue, everything BUT one file gets removed from my trash. The file in question is a copy of iTunes that managed to get corrupted when I did a system update. I have iTunes functional again, but this old corrupt version seems to not want to die! Help.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility.

If that doesn't work try inserting your Mac OS X DVD's and once you've selected the language go to the Utility menu and select disk utility from there and use that to repair the disk.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

drag the file from the trash to your desktop
    pull up the terminal window and cd to your desktop directory
    then type rm itunes (whatever it is called)

In the terminal window if you type man rm you can see what the rm command does before you try it.

4. snakester thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely forgot about the Unix underneath OS X! I just tried that though, and no go. I get into the offending folder, and when I try to rm it with -d OR -R i get

snakesters-computer-4:iTunes Help snakester$ sudo rm -R -v gfx
    rm: gfx: Input/output error

Repairing permissions didn't work, going to try disc repair now. This is getting mildly annoying to say the least.
    EDIT: And of course, my recovery disk seems to have disappeared. Any other ideas?

5. snakester thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I went through the trouble of finding my OSX boot disk, ran Disk Utility in that and got something along the lines of an "invalid node" error, causing it to stop working and error out. What use is a disk utility that wont even TRY to fix a problem?

Any more ideas?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The hard drive is ****ed and needs to be replaced with a new disk?

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine