Can't Configure Apple Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mosnowman, May 21, 2009.

1. Mosnowman macrumors newbie

Okay here's the problem. I have had my apple base station for several years and it has worked flawlessly. Recently I decided I really need to set up some security for it. I open Airport Admin Utility and it finds my station but after I try to configure it I get an error message: "Airport Admin Utility does not support this base station." or "can't upload" My Macbook Pro wireless works great but I can't make configuration changes. Any suggestions?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Do any firmware updates lately?
    Have you gotten the latest AirPort Utility?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are you running Tiger or Leopard on your MacBook Pro? AirPort Admin Utility is the configuration utility for older (UFO-shaped) base stations, but it doesn't work so great if you are running a much newer OS than what AAU was rated for. Download AirPort Utility 5.4.1 then try configuring the base station. I would also recommend configuring it via an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the base station rather than wirelessly. You shouldn't need to reconfigure the whole base station, entering manual setup and enabling wireless security to WPA should be a snap. Of course you'll have to update the configuration of the base station where you're done.

4. Mosnowman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! :)

I ended up downloading a number of apps including the one you suggested. I then reset the base station and started from scratch. I was able to put in my passwords successfully. I'm sure my hacker neighbors are upset they now no longer have wifi compliments of me!

One other concern...it seems like the connection is periodically dropping? Is this common and is there a fix? Thanks again!;)

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

A periodically dropping connection is generally due to interference unless the base station or your computer's wireless card is on the fritz. This Apple article has some information about material that causes wireless interference. Did you notice the connection dropping when you had an unsecure network?