Can't configure wireless security

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lirand, Oct 14, 2011.

1. lirand macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been using an Airport Extreme station for several years and I was rather happy with it.
    A few months ago, I upgraded my ADSL service and got some free Netgear box that has a modem + a wireless router. I thought I might as well give it a try and use it instead of my Airport box.

Anyway, it seems to me that the reception isn't that good with this box, so I thought I would just turn the Airport back on - and use it as a wireless router (while the Netgear remains the modem).

I have no idea why (and I tried like a zillion options), but since I have turned the Airport back on today (and connected it to the Netgear box via the relevant slot), it doesn't let me configure any sort of wireless security. When I try turning on WPA encryption through the setup wizard, it keeps telling me that I haven't named the network (I did - in one of the first steps in the wizard). Even if I do the setup manually and enter a network name - the wireless encryption options are not accessible. Totally weird!

I tried resetting the device (multiple times), upgrading its firmware and many other ideas I had - nothing seems to work.

Assistance would be appreciated :/

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you use two routers, then you probably have to manage two routers.

3. lirand thread starter macrumors newbie

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Try disabling the NAT functions of the Netgear box. The APE might be trying to extend the preexisting network instead of creating its own network.

5. lirand thread starter macrumors newbie

6. lirand thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI:
    Disabling the NAT didn't help, but updating the Airport Utility to the newest version that was recently released - did the trick.
    Thanks.