Can't connect laptop to Airport

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
Ok -- So I've set up my old Airport Extreme (not the latest model, but the previous one) with a new network.

My G5 desktop computer can connect to the new network just fine. My G4 iBook, however, cannot connect -- no matter what I do. The laptop CAN connect to OTHER wireless networks that around -- just not to my own Airport. It's driving me crazy.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Are you using any security? If so have you tried prefixing the passkey with '$'?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Does it see it and fail to connect, or just not see it?

You might try deleting your location / creating a new location file (sys prefs -> network -> location -> new). Sometimes this clears up weirdness.

An iBook G4 + an AEBS also really should not have any issues with $'s or hex keys or anything like that. It should just work.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
Does it see it and fail to connect, or just not see it?
Oh, it sees it -- and it LOOKS like it's connected when I select it. But then I open up a browser, or try to check for new e-mail, and....nothing. Then I select a neighbor's network (non-password protected, but weak) and it works. I go back to my own network (which is still working just fine for my G5), and still nothing.

You might try deleting your location / creating a new location file (sys prefs -> network -> location -> new). Sometimes this clears up weirdness.
Tried it. It didn't work. :(
I'm so confused....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When you go to sys prefs -> network, does the Airport show up with a "green" ball or an amber one? If green, then click on that interface and then go to TCP/IP. Make sure nothing is entered in the DNS blanks. If it's amber, then at the bottom, use the assist me button and run the diagnostics. Provide a screenshot if you can, or say what's green and what's not. Also look in TCP/IP for the relevant adapter on both computers and make sure that either both are using DHCP automatically or that they are set up to manually pick IPs in a non-overlapping way.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
When you go to sys prefs -> network, does the Airport show up with a "green" ball or an amber one? If green, then click on that interface and then go to TCP/IP. Make sure nothing is entered in the DNS blanks. If it's amber, then at the bottom, use the assist me button and run the diagnostics. Provide a screenshot if you can, or say what's green and what's not. Also look in TCP/IP for the relevant adapter on both computers and make sure that either both are using DHCP automatically or that they are set up to manually pick IPs in a non-overlapping way.
It showed an amber ball, so I ran diagnostics, and this is what it shows:

I went through all the steps, it asked if I connect through DSL, I said yes, it asked me to restart the device, I did, and I'm still unable to connect. :(

And I looked at the TCP/IP info and both are using DHCP automatically.