Can't connect my GoPro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NJFP, Apr 4, 2015.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

My GoPro Hero4 Black can't connect to my MacBookPro. I'm running Yosemite public beta 3, could the problem lie there? I've done a search on the forums, can't find any information, and I have the latest GoPro software. Thanks!

2. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

How are you attempting to connect it? USB cable? What are you trying to do with it once you have it connected?

3. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Attempting to connect via the GoPro USB cable. I tried iMovie and the GoPro Studio software. Nada to both. My computer doesn't see the camera. Once connected, I'd like to d/l the video I've taken onto my computer for editing.

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Try turning the camera on :)

5. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

DUH! It is.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Oh. Well it might not occur to everyone. Didn't occur to me the first time.
    I'm assuming it doesn't show up in finder then too?

7. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

No worries! And you are correct sir, it's not in Finder either. Thats the first place I looked once the GoPro software didn't see the camera. Re-d/l the software, went to their page, followed the trouble shooting guidelines.......nada.

However, my iPhone sees it, controls it and I can play back the video on the phone via the GoPro app on the phone. I'm stumped!

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Can't connect my GoPro

You might try taking the microsd card out and plugging it in if you have a microsd to sd adapter.
    Just to be clear on the definition of on, you are trying to use it when the screen is on, not just when the red light is on.

http://www.goprofanatics.com/gopro-hd-hero4/7957-cant-connect-my-hero-4-silver-my-mac.html
    It's appears there's a compatibility issue with OSX...

9. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

That's correct. We have the same definition of "on." The USB symbol is on the screen, and it shows it's in video mode, or photo mode, which ever I try. I've tried them all!

I don't have a card reader unfortunately.

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I guess your only solution is to transfer using the go pro app then transfer from your iPhone to your computer unfortunately.

11. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

12. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

Sometimes the solutions are so simple that you can't see them. I have two USB cables, one for the spare battery charger and one for the GoPro camera itself. Helps if you use the correct USB cable! Works like a champ now. Go figure.......

13. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I did some more research and this is actually because of a software update that recently happened. If your go pro is running the latest software then this is normal, unfortunately. I just take my microsd card out of my go pro and put it into my computer. It's easier that way and plus I get faster transfer speeds.

14. jefferista macrumors newbie

jefferista

so they are on GP v 5.0....lamest user experience ever.......EVER.....Seriously!

Every other camera developer on the planet is plug and play....EVERY ONE ..... GP no so much..... not that hard of a dev effort - (worked at Adobe, Cisco, Avid........and many others in M&E)