Can't connect Printer to Macbook Pro 10.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lozza71, Aug 28, 2010.

1. lozza71 macrumors newbie

Bought a HP Laserjet Pro 8500 A909g. I have installed software but driver never appears in list so there is an option to manually select it. Sometimes the printer then appears and other times it doesn't. Message then appears: If your device is not listed it is not supported by this installer. Downloaded installer again from HP but still no good. Printer is wireless but was given USB cable to connect to Macbook Pro as don't have internet at home and was told it would be no problem. Message now appearing saying if USB port on printer is at front (mine is) do not connect to USB on Macbook. However, it doesn't bother to tell me how to connect it any other way. Nothing in manual. Running out of patience. Just starting working for myself and have clients waiting for designs which I can't even print off. Help me pleeeeassseeee!!!! :eek:

2. Covart Guest

While this may not help, you apparently are not alone. CNET.com reviewed this printer and the comments are filled with people complaining about how complicated and screwed up this printer is for installation. And not just on a Mac either.
    On top of this, there are 28 pages of other complaints about this printer on CNET as well. I would highly recommend returning it and buying something else. Def seems like a bad printer.

3. lozza71 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Covart

Thanks Covart. Obviously I didn't come across those 28 pages before buying it unfortunately! There is more literature to go with the printer than I have hairs in my head, each page as useless as the next. I even had to watch a youtube video on installing printer heads as installation graphics showed bits on printer I didn't have! Rather than get to the point of self harming, I may well just return it. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm gonna have a well deserved drink now - maybe I'll pour it on the printer. Not like it won't work afterwards :)

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

It used to be that the HP Laserjets were the best printers you could buy. My wife just recently retired an old Laserjet that we bought in 1988. She used it a lot and it still worked when we retired it.

Nowdays the HP printers seem to be a pile of junk. Whatever happened to their engineering skills?