Can't connect Sony Handycam to my UMB?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lurchdubious, May 9, 2009.

1. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I have a handycam that is a few years old. This is my first time trying to download video to my new unibody mac. I have it hooked up via USB, and the mac isn't recognizing the video cam. The model is DCR-HC32. Mini-DV format.

Curse the lac of firewire, but I do have the USB. Anybody ever run into this? What do I do?

2. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

wow. No help at all? I've tried downloading the drivers from Sony's website. Not working...

3. lostless macrumors 6502

Nope, not gonna happen. DV requires firewire. The newest MB does not have firewire. For some reason, Apple removed it. Also there is no adaptor to add firewire. No DV camera works with the newest MB.

This has been discussed to death here from day one. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=583377&highlight=steve+jobs+lack+firewire
    It now has over 3000 replies.

Sorry to burst your hopes of using your camera with your new MB.

4. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wasn't true, that the USB streaming would somehow enable me to get that video off there. Well, my wife has the blackbook & she's outta town, so at least we'll be able to get the vids off there. Really makes me want to sell my stupid camcorder tho. Too bad the wife won't go for it.