Can't connect through Adium/Skype/other social media apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GoKyu, Jul 8, 2009.

1. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Hi all,

I'm posting this for my girlfriend, who is a new Mac user (since about February), and who is at the moment halfway around the world at Darwin University in Australia (so it isn't just an easy matter for me to help her with this at the moment.)

She's got a recent Intel Macbook 13", running Leopard (I think 10.5.5 at least), and she has wireless access through the university.

She's not able to connect to either her MSN or Yahoo accounts (she's using Adium), or Skype. Strangely, she *does* automatically connect to the Gmail chat when she checks her email (which is kind of our workaround way of chatting for the time being.)

I've just emailed her and asked for any error messages she's getting, so hopefully I can get some updated info here later today or tomorrow.

The strange thing is - ALL of her friends are able to use Yahoo/MSN/Skype with no issues whatsoever, but unfortunately, they're all using Windows, and now she thinks she can't connect simply because she has a Mac.

Of course I told her this can't really be possible, and I did advise that the next time she sees her friends, to have her computer with her and see what settings they're using (maybe they have to use different port numbers in order for it to work.)

Does anyone else have any suggestions, or have run into this kind of issue before? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have been having more trouble with Adium then any other application recently, I have no clue why, I've gone back a variety of versions; but Skype and iChat are working fine, but that is no comfort, none at all.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have her run software update to make sure she's on 10.5.7.

This could be an Adium/Skype problem then, since she can obviously get on the internet. Have her download the Yahoo stand-alone client, can she connect through that?

Another thing to do might be to search through Darwin's IT webpage (they must have one...) and see if there's anything about port info that needs to be changed or something.

4. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

theres a big change it has something to do with the firewall, or the actual internet service.
    sometimes in my dorm iChat and Adium both fail to connect. In most cases though, they work fine.
    Try to see if AIM actually works at the campus.. try going to meebo.(google meebo) Since it's in a browser it's more direct.
    For some reason msn doesnt work in my dorm. Probably for a similar reason, though im not sure what.

5. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Does she have PeerGuardian on her Mac? After I installed that, I was unable to connect to any of the IM servers. If she has, I have a custom list that will allow them to work.

6. GoKyu thread starter macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I don't think she does, but I'll ask her.

Thanks for the replies so far!