Can't connect thunderbolts?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iamJaymes, Jun 25, 2016.

1. iamJaymes macrumors newbie

I bought a thunderbolt cable, hoping i can quickly zoom files from my 2011 27" iMac and my 2015 macbook air.

i plugged it in and my air has thunderbolt bridge ready to go but my iMac isn't having it, doesn't do anything when the cable is connected. I checked system report and it's saying the port is in use but nowhere else is showing it.

I tried clicking the plus in Network to see if i can add thunderbold bridge but its just ethernet and other options.

Did I miss something glaringly obvious? =/

2. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

Have you tried to set the iMac in target disk mode?

3. iamJaymes thread starter macrumors newbie

no. I was under the impressions thats just if you want to use one mac as a display for the other? I want to keep both macs running and working independently but use the cable to transfer files.

Am I wrong?

4. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

If you want to transfer files while both Macs are on, make sure to turn file sharing on. It's located in System Preferences --> Sharing

Thunderbolt does however have faster throughput in Target Disk Mode. Start the Mac while holding the 'T' Key.

5. iamJaymes thread starter macrumors newbie

It's on.

I followed this exact tutorial, got to network and thunderbolt bridge just isnt there in my imac.

6. iamJaymes thread starter macrumors newbie

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

8. iamJaymes thread starter macrumors newbie

I swear another tutorial said I needed 10.6.8 minimum.
    I'll see if I can update to 10.9, thanks for your help. was driving me slightly mad.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2016 ---
    I tried updating it says my hard drive has SMART errors so I can't update.
    How else can I use this cable to transfer files? Must have been a way before Bridge came alone? =s

9. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If your drive has S.M.A.R.T. errors, that means it is failing and you should backup the drive and replace it right away before it becomes unreadable.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2016 ---
    You can transfer files using Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10725?locale=en_US

However, what you really need to do is to buy a replacement drive, clone your failing drive to the replacement using a USB3 enclosure or adapter, then swap the new drive into your computer.

This is a good time to consider upgrading to an SSD which will immensely speed up your computer.

10. iamJaymes thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in the UK and every price I keep seeing is over £200 ... for a HDD? Probably cheaper to sell my imac and buy another 2011 27" with a healthier HDD ....

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote:
    "...hoping i can quickly zoom files from my 2011 27" iMac and my 2015 macbook air."

Probably the best way to do this is with a plain-old-fashioned USB flash drive.
    Yes, it's a couple of extra steps, but.... IT WORKS.