• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

iamJaymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
I bought a thunderbolt cable, hoping i can quickly zoom files from my 2011 27" iMac and my 2015 macbook air.

i plugged it in and my air has thunderbolt bridge ready to go but my iMac isn't having it, doesn't do anything when the cable is connected. I checked system report and it's saying the port is in use but nowhere else is showing it.

I tried clicking the plus in Network to see if i can add thunderbold bridge but its just ethernet and other options.

Did I miss something glaringly obvious? =/

iamJaymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Have you tried to set the iMac in target disk mode?
no. I was under the impressions thats just if you want to use one mac as a display for the other? I want to keep both macs running and working independently but use the cable to transfer files.

Am I wrong?

Comment

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
If you want to transfer files while both Macs are on, make sure to turn file sharing on. It's located in System Preferences --> Sharing

Thunderbolt does however have faster throughput in Target Disk Mode. Start the Mac while holding the 'T' Key.

Comment

iamJaymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
If you want to transfer files while both Macs are on, make sure to turn file sharing on. It's located in System Preferences --> Sharing

Thunderbolt does however have faster throughput in Target Disk Mode. Start the Mac while holding the 'T' Key.
It's on.

I followed this exact tutorial, got to network and thunderbolt bridge just isnt there in my imac.

Comment

iamJaymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
You need 10.9 for Thunderbolt Bridge.
I swear another tutorial said I needed 10.6.8 minimum.
I'll see if I can update to 10.9, thanks for your help. was driving me slightly mad.
[doublepost=1466877068][/doublepost]I tried updating it says my hard drive has SMART errors so I can't update.
How else can I use this cable to transfer files? Must have been a way before Bridge came alone? =s

Comment

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If your drive has S.M.A.R.T. errors, that means it is failing and you should backup the drive and replace it right away before it becomes unreadable.
[doublepost=1466882029][/doublepost]You can transfer files using Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10725?locale=en_US

However, what you really need to do is to buy a replacement drive, clone your failing drive to the replacement using a USB3 enclosure or adapter, then swap the new drive into your computer.

This is a good time to consider upgrading to an SSD which will immensely speed up your computer.

Comment

iamJaymes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
If your drive has S.M.A.R.T. errors, that means it is failing and you should backup the drive and replace it right away before it becomes unreadable.
[doublepost=1466882029][/doublepost]You can transfer files using Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH10725?locale=en_US

However, what you really need to do is to buy a replacement drive, clone your failing drive to the replacement using a USB3 enclosure or adapter, then swap the new drive into your computer.

This is a good time to consider upgrading to an SSD which will immensely speed up your computer.
I'm in the UK and every price I keep seeing is over £200 ... for a HDD? Probably cheaper to sell my imac and buy another 2011 27" with a healthier HDD ....

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"...hoping i can quickly zoom files from my 2011 27" iMac and my 2015 macbook air."

Probably the best way to do this is with a plain-old-fashioned USB flash drive.
Yes, it's a couple of extra steps, but.... IT WORKS.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.