Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I have my wifi set up and all running ok but when I want to access the router settings via http://192.168.0.1, I can't connect.

I have connected before but I can't connect now for some reason.

Any ideas?

JH

Nov 28, 2010
located
What Mac OS X version, what browser (+version) and what exact router do you use? Has anything changed since the last successful entry to the router settings? Can you ping the router?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
are you sure that 192.168.0.1 is the router's IP address?

Did you change this? Some routers are 192.168.1.0 or 0.0.

I changed mine completely at home.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just a thought about this post...Nothing wrong OP, but by posting the full address of your (and many other peoples) router address some could get into trouble....Your link takes me straight to my routers admin screen, which is okay if you know what's what, but could be a problem for people who don't...Maybe just edit the address a little so that it won't show up as a valid link?

Have you tried rebooting your router? Sounds simple, but often works in these situations.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just a thought about this post...Nothing wrong OP, but by posting the full address of your (and many other peoples) router address some could get into trouble....Your link takes me straight to my routers admin screen, which is okay if you know what's what, but could be a problem for people who don't...Maybe just edit the address a little so that it won't show up as a valid link?

Have you tried rebooting your router? Sounds simple, but often works in these situations.

That is an internal IP Address. There is nothing that could happen by posting what he posted and probably 75% of people have the exact same IP address in their home.

You are seeing your router admin screen

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have my wifi set up and all running ok but when I want to access the router settings via http://192.168.0.1, I can't connect.

Any ideas?

JH

Are you trying to access the router over WiFi or Ethernet? Typically, most routers default to have admin access via the Ethernet; WiFi must be specifically enabled.

Also, have you set it to gain access via HTTP or HTTPS?

Lastly, are you sure it's 192.168.0.1 or could it be 192.168.1.1?

Having that address posted is no problem as it's a private IP and is not routeable over the Internet. Most Cisco/Linksys and other routers use this same address for the admin access.

ancelrick

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011

Any ideas?

JH

What is the IP address of your computer? Typically the router would be at the XXX.XXX.X.1 address. So if your computer is 192.168.1.16 you would get the router at 192.168.1.1 and so on.

System Preferences>Network>Airport>TCP/IP would also list the router address.

Jetheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
You know, I restarted my router and messed around with the settings and now i can access the router at that address.

Guess it was a simple reset problem.

Thanks,

JH

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^

Works most of the time...What I meant was that folks who are not accustomed to seeing their routers admin / setup screen could fiddle with things...I didn't mean there was a security issue, just a "Folks will fiddle" issue.

Glad you got it working...I generally re-boot my Router / modem once a month....It helps to keep things running, and it's always a good idea with problems like yours....The very first thing Tech support would have done is ask you to re-boot the thing!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Guess it was a simple reset problem.
When I support desktops in a job, I first have the reboot because 90% of the time, that fixes the issues - when in doubt reboot (even if its a router ;) )

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
When I support desktops in a job, I first have the reboot because 90% of the time, that fixes the issues - when in doubt reboot (even if its a router ;) )

Same here, often I go through a reboot of the computer and the items they are trying to use with the computer. My co-worker hates that and says, "I didn't see you actually do any troubleshooting". Most of my work is for clients at several different locations, and like you said 90% of the time it fixes with a reboot. Trying to walk the average worker through typing in commands in the cmd prompt or even asking for their IP address is not worth it most of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.