Can't connect to airport after doing 2008 update! Help!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryansmommy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ryansmommy macrumors newbie

Okay so the other day I was doing the typical software update. My computer went to "sleep" so it never finished doing the 2008 Airport Extreme update. When I turned on computer, my wireless signal was gone. Figuring my computer needed a tune up, I had the Apple Genius guys clean/tuneup my computer. Well guess what...when I tried to update it again...it wouldn't work!! BUT IT DID WORK AT THE APPLE STORE!! I have another laptop which connects fine. After trying to do the update (got error messages all the time) and even attempting to download the 07 version (no dice), I redownloaded the 08 version and it rebooted my computer. I thought - yay - it'll work! Well - it STILL doesn't recognize my friggin' airport base!! What gives???

And please, dumb it down for me a bit....when you guys talk extentions and rewriting files etc... you lose me!

PLEASE HELP!:mad:

2. garyliving macrumors newbie

same problem!

I did the airport update and my wireless connection is all confused: it works at my work place but at home (here in NYC where we get on our neighbors !) it is not working. I get that mysterious useless 'error' message. My PC will however still connect to that same 'neighbor'! So..is this some patriot act inspired agreement between Mac and providers? How can I undo that update? I am not on the new operating system where you can 'go back'...:mad:

3. ryansmommy thread starter macrumors newbie

got it!

Okay so after an hour on the phone w/support - they had me download pacifist at charlessoft.com. then extract a specific file and replace it on my computer. i found the instructions actually last night on mac forums but dont' know the specifics anymore...will look for link. it was in prefs i think...

here found it for oyu - here is the link. good luck!
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6942136&tstart=0

4. garyliving macrumors newbie

back on-line but..

I just booted my mac from a back-up of my machine I have on an external drive and it connects fine to the same old internet connection that this new ****ing airport update won't let me do!
    So why is Apple giving out this Airport update that screws SO many people up and that we have to uninstall to get back on line?
    I see the thread above. Do I have to go through all that to get my internet back up? Or us Apple going to correct the problem?:confused:

5. ryansmommy thread starter macrumors newbie

yup

I think so. it's what worked for me...and I too am able to connect on neighbors shoddy service. It worked though and wasn't so confusing if someone walks you thru. just call apple and ask them to dumb it down for you like I did!! I suck at this stuff, If I did it youcan too!!

good luck!