Can't connect to Airport Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jethryn Freyman, May 2, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's a two year old 802.11a/b/g Airport Extreme Base Station.

I've tried connection via wireless and ethernet from two different Macs (one with an 802.11a/b/g Airport Extreme card and one with an 802.11a/b/g/n AE card.) I can ping the base station successfully, but I can't connect to it with Airport Utility.

Any ideas?

2. deboni macrumors member

deboni

1) Try power cycling the base station. If doesn't make it visible, go to step 2.

2) Find the reset hole, use a paper clip to reset it, and then try again. Airport Utility should be able to see it once it's back to original state.

Tom

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks for the tips. I've done 1 many times, doesn't seem to do anything.

I've reset it before, and it's visible again, but once I set it up again, I can't pick it up.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If this is one of the square-shaped AE Base Stations I would chance a factory reset, which is accomplished by holding in the reset button when de-powering the base station, and plugging it back in with the reset button still held in. As long as its not one of the UFO base stations with a gray Apple logo you can do the factory reset without needing to bring it to a retail store to have the firmware reloaded back onto it. When you say you can't see it after setting it up again, this is after updating it with your changed settings (SSID, WPA/WPA2) correct?

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Seems that it has to be connected to a Mac via Ethernet to be configured.